Why become a member? ×

Low output on Washburn AB30 Electro-Acoustic (mag + piezo)

warwickhunt

Anyone had issues with this problem either on this particular make of bass or a similarly equipped piezo/magnetic equipped bass.

The output whether panned to piezo or electric is miserably low (battery replaced) to the point where I need to absolutely crank the input to get anything and at that point noise is a problem.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1342269521' post='1732597']
Not tried a piezo\mag combo through my rig but certainly anything with a piezo pickup comes out quiet and 'weedy'.

I fixed the problem by buying a little Fishman external preamp and using that.
[/quote]

The Washburn has an on-board buffer so that shouldn't be the case... I have a BBE Acoustimax preamp I could put it through but it shouldn't require it! :(

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1342269741' post='1732601']
The Washburn has an on-board buffer so that shouldn't be the case... I have a BBE Acoustimax preamp I could put it through but it shouldn't require it! :(
[/quote]

Totally agree - you shouldn't require it.
My Takamine has a pre-amp but it just doesn't drive my amp.
I'm guessing I have an impedance mismatch more than an output level issue.

The fact that the bass is also equipped with a magnetic pup mounted on the body surface and the output from that is equally pathetic, makes me think that the preamp or some part of the wiring is goosed! I'm looking at possible solutions before I need to have money spent giving it to a shop.

Some rather primitive wiring diagrams for the AB30 can be found here in case theyre of any use for diagnostics:
http://vintagewashburn.com/Wiring%20Diagrams%20PDFs/WiringDiagrams.html

Sounds like the pre is up the creek to me. If you can get at the mag wiring try jumping the preamp and going direct to the output jack. If that works it's definitely the pre.