Why become a member? ×

So... (leading onto an advice please thread)

Jimryan

So...

My day started with our very own Merlin coming down to buy my DB. After a coffee and a chat, off I went around the local guitar shops to find me a cheap back-up 5er.

First shop, no luck. On my way to the second, got soaked through so dived in my local.

Second shop, no luck.

Third shop, saw how bumped up their prices where and quickly left.

This left me only one store left. So... got the bus to Nevada music. After trying all the 5's for the price I was after, still no luck. However, on the way out I saw something. Spotted it, tried it, was ok, but gave me a thought. This could lead onto my first build.

This is what I got...

[attachment=113139:p.JPG]

A Squier Vintage Modified p.

Now, over the years, I've always hated precisions. well, not all of them. Just the neck, really, and until joining BC never considered a build.

All I knew is that I wanted a white p. This was the perfect specimen. It's the lightest bass I have ever tried/owned. Good start. This is where the advice begins. My plans are as follows, but would like ideas and suggestions.

First off, the neck has to go. I want a jazz neck. After that, the electronics. I'm torn between some basslines quarter pounders and a MM just behind it. Or, delano's, a large pole split coil with a hybrid at the bridge. Thoughts? After that, the bridge, I'm thinking of a schaller 3D bridge or a hipshot A type.

Then later on, straploks and a D-tuner.

Still no idea on a pre (unless I use the delano's where I'll use a Sonus). As for hardwear, black ideally.

Overall thoughts?

Valid point. The body to be precise. I looked into buying a finished body, but would have to wait to play until all the parts arrived. With this one, I can keep using it as I modify it, plus I love the weight of it...at the moment. Wasn't too keen on the sound in the shop, but sounds ok through my HH.

sounds interesting, any pics of one?

I suppose half the logic behind this I want to sort of experience the process too. The only mod I've ever done is install straploks. I've always wanted to have a go at heavily modding something.