Why become a member? ×

Chords, double/triple stops & how they work....

Rumble

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346166238' post='1785984']
I guess this kind of chord theory/voicing is taking players away from 'bass' playing and into the realms of guitar playing.
[/quote]

I would both agree and disagree. You might not play triple stopped chords in a band situation very often or at all. However, learning to comp with just some basic shell voicings, or voicings with 3, 7 and a tension allows you to hear the harmony with greater clarity. For example, you can better hear guide tone lines and smooth voice leading between chords, which you can incorporate in your single note lines to great effect. Learning the basics of comping also allows you to hear and recognise what the pianist/guitarist is doing and respond accordingly.

I've found chordal playing can be great in smaller groups (duos and trios with drums really) as it allows you to fill out the harmonic content a bit more when the comping instrument drops out. Even just a double stop with a third or seventh in the top can sound great once in a while

[quote name='clarket2' timestamp='1346245935' post='1786936']
I've found chordal playing can be great in smaller groups (duos and trios with drums really) as it allows you to fill out the harmonic content a bit more when the comping instrument drops out. Even just a double stop with a third or seventh in the top can sound great once in a while
[/quote]

Yup, tenths under a guitar solo (when playing in a 3 piece) are my weapon of choice.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1346240324' post='1786823']
I would both agree and disagree. You might not play triple stopped chords in a band situation very often or at all. However, learning to comp with just some basic shell voicings, or voicings with 3, 7 and a tension allows you to hear the harmony with greater clarity. For example, you can better hear guide tone lines and smooth voice leading between chords, which you can incorporate in your single note lines to great effect. Learning the basics of comping also allows you to hear and recognise what the pianist/guitarist is doing and respond accordingly.
[/quote]
+1

Even if you never play chords with a band, your study of them will pay off.