Why become a member? ×

Hand-held recorder (mp3)

Roland Rock

A lot of our songs are created by jamming a groove for a while until something clicks. Unfortunately, more often than not I've forgotten what bassline I was playing by the next week. Also, sometimes I think of a bassline but will have forgotten it by the time I next pick up my bass.

In short, I need a small recorder which i can put in the rehearsal room, or sing into, which will pick up bass frequencies well. Any suggestions?

+1 for the Zoom H2.

A great piece of kit. The only slight criticism is that it looks and feels a bit flimsy. It doesn't look like it would survive a drop on a hard floor. So, depending on how and where you'd plan to use it, it might be worth a look before buying. In terms of construction, a Boss pedal it ain't!

If you'd any plans to come to Derby soon we could meet for a drink and I'll show you mine. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1342508953' post='1736165']
+1 for the Zoom H2.

A great piece of kit. The only slight criticism is that it looks and feels a bit flimsy. It doesn't look like it would survive a drop on a hard floor. So, depending on how and where you'd plan to use it, it might be worth a look before buying. In terms of construction, a Boss pedal it ain't!

[/quote]

You can buy it as a bundle with a protective cover, which makes it a bit more robust

and then you need to get one of these as well - just for a laugh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great piece of kit tho - well worth the money

+1 for the Zoom kit, I have the H4n (yes I do actually use a lot of the 'extra features' otherwise I would have got an H2) and its truly superb.

The next thing you will find is you need some way foediting the huge amounts of stuff you will generate in rehearsal (by far the best bet is to just leave them recording in the room for the entire session).

I'd recommend Reaper for that, its superb.

A satisfied H1 user here!! Even better value for money and, to my ears, the quality of the recordings are indistinguishable from those done with the H2 of H4. ;)

A tad flimsy, I must admit, but I do tend to look after my gear well anyway, so it's something of a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. :)

PS:

Thanks again to Andy!!

Edited by bassicinstinct

• 4 weeks later...

I've just sold my iPhone (upgraded to a Galaxy S2 whoop) so went into PMT to grab a Zoom H2N. None in stock but I did notice they had the extension cab for my combo at £130 - bargain! So I may now get the Zoom H1 and the extension cab. So if the quality's roughly the same as bassicinstict said then I'll be very happy!