Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here tried these EB Cobalt Strings yet?

Grand Wazoo

Looking for honest opinions on these strings, I fancy trying a set for my American Standard P bass, but they cost as much as 2 sets of normal Super Slinkys so I wonder if the extra cash is worth it.

If any of you have tried a set please let me know what you thought of them. Bear in mind that 3 years ago when Ernie Ball launched the "Coated" strings, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a set only to discover that I hated the fact that the strings felt as coarse as if they were coated in sea salt, and that, they didn't really live up to the extra long life they claimed to have done, so I went back to the Super Slinkys.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Ou7shined is right: there was a discussion earlier this year:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165581-ernie-ball-cobalt-strings/page__hl__cobalt"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165581-ernie-ball-cobalt-strings/page__hl__cobalt[/url]
(And a search also throws up a few other comments about these strings).

There is also a big thread (or two) on TB IIR.

I'd be interested in your thoughts if you do get a set for your P bass. I'll probably be getting a set for mine next time i change strings (not for a while yet though)

Edited by dave_bass5

Thanks for the links guys, well I have now read all the reviews and realized most of the negative ones come from guitarists rather than bass players, I feel perhaps the mid boost of these strings might suit bass players better than guitarists. I have also listened to to those before and after soundclips and I do like the diffrerence they make which might just add that extra oomph to my passive Fender P Bass, and as slong as the strings don't feel to different to the touch, who knows, maybe I might probably like them.

I'll let you all know what I think of them.

Well the Cobalt strings arrived this morning and they are on the American Standard P Bass, nice, I must say so far so good I liked them, and yes they have the same feel as ordinary roundwounds so there is no extra coarse sensation to them, the sound is definately different than the standard nickel strings and they have a pronounced mid punch. As I said they are just fresh on the bass I will wait a couple of weeks of playing to see if they really represent an improvement. But they should really go down in price because at £29 a set they are quite dear.

Just a quick update to confirm that these Cobalt strings are very good actually, they stay in tune pretty well despite our constantly shifting weather and humidity levels. They don't have a quick wear-off phase and as I've mentioned before they feel just as normal roundwounds would, without any unpleasant coarsness. They have pronounced mid voice but the overall balance in tone from string to string is very even and I recommend them on a passive bass like a Fender Precision they do add more punch and presence. Try them, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I haven't tried these, but I have tried the E B coated super Slinkies. I put the on the MIM Precision I got from Lojo, and am very impressed. I can see what you mean about the feel of the strings to the touch, but I actually prefer it!
Still, horses for courses. :D