Why become a member? ×

New rig Idea's :)

GetYourFunkOut93

1000W is fractionally louder than 500W (needs to 5,000W to be twice as loud).

A cab with an efficiency (ie the energy released as sound for each Watt you put into it) of 103dB/W will be twice as loud as one with 100dB/W measured at the same distance (normally 1m).

So, rather disappointingly, you may not notice the improvement of a 750W amp over a 500W amp, but you will certainly notice the more efficient cab. Also, don't forget output ratings are normally associated with speaker impedance, so 500W amp into 4Ω is likely to be louder than 1000W amp into 8Ω.

The speaker rating is to do with how much heat it can take without damage, if you're not going to be belting flat out then either of those example combinations you gave will be fine. Generally you're safe if the cabs can take all or more than the output of your head, but I've run bigger heads for most of my life. You hear the speaker complains if you over do it, time to stop and add another cab. Or turn down.

(To be picky, its 'W', not 'w' as the unit represents a persons name - Watt).

Edited by 4 Strings

I'd say a couple of 2x10s. But I did say that in your other thread & would post it in your new one if you wasn't determined on 12s.
So on your new thread I'll say go with either 1 or 2 2x12s, depending on the cab. If it's a Barefaced, then you'll most likely only ever need one from what folk on here say (unless you're planning on some large tours).

Why a 12? the only advantage it has is a smaller cab. But it also reduces a lot of other parameters & the 2x10 would most likely drown out the single 12.

If you're getting 2 cabs, it's usually more sensible to get 2 the same.

I've used a Barefaced 2x12 on a pub gig and it was incredibly loud with a Markbass 500w head. Daren't turn it anywhere near up halfway and that was without PA support! You should be set with one of them!

Could always get a matching Markbass cab though! They'll be a bit cheaper, and they're also a very reliable brand with great customer service... The amount of variety is staggering too!

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342709491' post='1739749']
....Can someone post there 2x 112 rigs so I can see what you guys are running?....
[/quote]
I used a Bergantino AE112 and AE210 stack for a couple of years. They worked well and sounded great. These days I use 2 AE112 cabs because they are lighter and easier to move.

Looks like the HD112's are out of stock at Bass Direct until August but the Bergantino cabs are definitely the ones I'd try first.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

The TC RS210 is a brilliant, lightweight, portable and nicely voiced cabinet. There are some guys who really know their gear on Talkbass and they rate the in the same tonal universe as some high end gear, and half the price!

They are punchy, with tight bass, a low mid kick, and a very nice high end/tweeter IMO.

The best 1x12s/2x12 I've heard, still, is by Aguilar. DB112 or DB212. I've tried the Bergs (although not the new line) and still the Aguilar to me sounds 'right' for me.

The Genz Neox 212T is also rated as one of the best one cab solutions for a commerical 2x12 and its a fairly low-ish price, and low weight. It will punch almost like a 4x10!