Why become a member? ×

any carrier suggestions to post a bass to Germany?

mcnach

It looks like my fretless CIJ Fender Precision will be travelling to a new home in Germany.

Has anybody posted an instrument to Germany? Any recommendations as to what carrier to use? Or to avoid!

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1342633964' post='1738420']
I used UPS last year to post my Yamaha six string to Germany. Dropped it into the Edinburgh depot. They weighed it, checked it and took my money. Arrived with no problems whatsoever.
[/quote]

remember roughly how much it cost you?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342634083' post='1738423']
I took a guitar to Holland once, and a practise amp to Cologne (IIRC) Both times I got a steal on the flights & took it myself, Tele in it's case (from Glasgow) & amp in it's box well packed.
[/quote]

I'm not really interested in a trip to Hamburg (no offence to Hamburgers, I'm sure it's a fun city and all ;))

I`ve sent basses to Greece, and Finland, using www.parcel2go.com

Fully insured up to £650, the bass to Finland was about £40 - £50, if I remember correctly.

Whatever you do, don`t choose Parcelforce as one of their exclusions is musical instruments. Damage or loss, you get nowt - even if you paid for the insurance.

I recently sent A 26kg parcel to Switzerland via Parcelforce. No trouble at all - despite the musical instrument exclusion mentioned above, the recipient was happy to have it insured from his end of things. The pickup was fast (the driver was a bit grumpy though) and the package was tracked end-to-end. Cost was about £120 for the 3-day delivery.

Whoever you send with: packaging, packaging, packaging.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1342634068' post='1738421']
remember roughly how much it cost you?
[/quote]

I seem to remember it cost about £140 or thereabouts. That was insured and I think 48 hr delivery. You can get a quote from the web site [url="http://www.ups.com/content/gb/en/index.jsx?WT.svl=BrndMrk"]http://www.ups.com/content/gb/en/index.jsx?WT.svl=BrndMrk[/url]

Edited by BassBus

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I used Interparcel and it was all very smooth. Just under £40, insured, easy. I took it to the depot (UPS) myself to avoid the waiting game. I took it on Tuesday, the parcel left Edinburgh the day after... and on Friday it was collected in Germany by the new owner of my Fender Precision CIJ fretless... such a beautiful bass...

So, thumbs up for Interparcel here. I guess when using them you really are at the mercy of whatever company they use for each particular delivery.
I chose Interparcel Standard, which for Germany meant UPS. You can see that on their website before you book, so you can change different services if you want to avoid a particular carrier.