Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Bass Xtender Problem

I've just installed a new Hipshot Bass Xtender in my Musicman SUB, and as soon as I began to tune the string up, i've noticed I'm getting a large amount of fret buzz, something which I did not have before the change over. I am using a slightly larger weight of string, although I haven't changed the string.

I have noticed that the Hipshot tuner stands out of the head a fair bit further than the original Musicman tuners as shown in the photo:

[attachment=113566:photo.JPG]

This has reduced the angle of the string as it goes over the nut (it runs flatter now between the nut and the tuner), and i've noticed that putting a small amount of pressure on the string behind the nut stops the buzzing altogether.

Has anyone else experienced this and can help me solve this problem?

Get another string, and this time allow enough length for 3 or 4 turns round the post.. You need the string to leave the post as low as possible. I've seen similar on a variety of instruments, and the above should fix your problem.

I have taken a picture of my Hipshot on my Stingray. I go for at least 4 windings, but the problem with the Hipshot is the post is cylindrical and not tapered like the MM ones. This means you have to work to ensure the windings finish at the bottom of the post, so keep some pressure down on the string when winding and aim low! So re-string your bass & BTW all the windings are very minimal.

I trust you have the proper MM replacement Hipshot with the smaller elephant ears to match? Mine is of an old P Bass which I do not have anymore, but fits the Ray fine, except the ear is a bit bigger and it sticks up further than the MM ones like yours.

[attachment=113584:IMG_4740.JPG]