Why become a member? ×

Stereo bass output idea

victor5string

At the moment this is just an idea and have no plans to make it happen(yet). So as with riks and yamaha attitude ltd's you can have mono or stereo outputs. I love the idea of running two rigs one main one for clean then a smaller second one for drive and fx's. But what I've been finding is IMO passive basses work just a little bit better with overdrive/distortion and some other effects then active basses(not all though). But I really like active basses for the cleaner side of things as I can have more control.

So what I was thinking of was one pup wired passive that would go to the overdrive/distortion then one wired to an active circuit going to the clean amp. Would like to hear what you guys think of this idea, I know it's nothing new just playing around with an existing idea.

Also there would be a mono option.

Edited by victor5string

What does "stereo" actually mean in terms of bass guitar output?

I saw a guitar system where the strings were panned across the soundfield from lowest to highest - that to me is stereo.

Simply running each pickup into two different amps or effects setups is two channel IMO.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1342900169' post='1742641']
You could just split the signal on the pedalboard. I do.
[/quote]

But he wants to be able to split the pup paths not a single output.

I think using a stereo jack to split them is a great idea.
Not sure what detrimental effects may come of sending to two different amp but using the same neg rail will do though, if anything?

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1342900169' post='1742641']
You could just split the signal on the pedalboard. I do.
[/quote]

+1

Wouldn't say it's worth the hassle. If you like your sound, and your sound with effects, and like them together and want that all the time, split the signal with a splitter box, and just run two rigs.

Unless you're determined by the active and passive thing, then you'd need to think very carefully about pickup type, pickup placement etc.

I find the dual rig sound with effects can sound very odd unless you account for lacking areas in the overall sound.

For example, with my Attitude, if I use distortion the P-pup and run the neck clean it sounds like it's lacking fullness and has too much in all the wrong areas. (My taste and 2 pence)

Though when running the pickups seperate (when I do, which is rare) I use 3 rigs, 2 clean (one for each pickup) and one effected (P pickup)

That said, I like the sound of both pickups together and running two rigs, both with both pickups together one clean one effected.Using both outputs, which is possible due to the wiring of the Attitude.

Edited by AttitudeCastle

I use dual mono outputs, if you want active though, do it with a preamp outside the bass (I use a Sansamp Paradriver), active bass and passive bass into preamp are pretty much same, the stereo jack kills the switching you normally have for an onboard preamp to not eat batteries. It is a whole different deal than having two pickups on the bass one output and a split post output, because you don't have the loading of the second pickup when they are both on, they are buffered/discrete from each other, plus, you can bring in effected signal over the clean lows with the volume, and tons more tricks as you learn the acoustics of the situation.