Why become a member? ×

The meaning of 'mint'... And more...

Torben Hedstrøm

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1342969815' post='1743254']
Oh, On bit of a sidenote... Anyone actually read a bad remark on the feedback section about anyone ?. Thought about doing som myself after this deal, and I probably will in near future. Just seems that it's not something people do very often...
[/quote]

Thats a good point ...............................

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342969013' post='1743242']
In my view there is only one way to describe an item which is 'mint': unworn, undamaged, in perfect condition, as it would be if it were brand-new. 'Mint with a few dings and scratches' is NOT mint, IMHO. :)
[/quote]

That.

It would be nice to think that we're all one big happy family of bass players, and that no-one on here would try and sell a bass that is not as described, but the truth is, we should all be very careful when buying any instrument from anywhere, including here, and, in my opinion, if anyone has blatantly lied and sold a bass that is not as described, they should refund the money and have the bass back. No idea how you could enforce that, but we HAVE had instances on here over the years, where members have got together to help another member get justice. I don't mean bassball bats and visits to peoples house, but rather naming and shaming, and putting pressure on the person who mis-sold the bass in the first place to do the right thing.

Edited by Rayman

I now take "Mint" to mean "I would like to sell you my instrument very, very much" - and nothing more.

I would like to see more moderation of the For Sale forum, if only to ensure some consistent standards - if only to ensure we have quality ads. I certainly wouldn't advocate BC becoming actively involved in sales; and I think I might be a lone voice in calling for some attention to that forum. I'll second any call for a grading table - we could quickly add that up as Sticky.

But yes, as Dood notes: ultimately, the buck stops with you, the buyer. You need to ensure that "mint" in the advert adds up to what "mint" means in your hands or in your head. And, if you disagree vehemently, don't do the deal.

That said, if a seller did make you drive for hours to discover the difference in your definitions, I think you'd be quite within your rights to discuss your common understanding of other words, such as: twat, cock, dickhead, etc :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1343045081' post='1744147']Sadly there is no agreed standard for descriptive classification. ...

Here's US retailer Elderly Instruments' grading table - it seems to fit with the thread consensus:[/quote]
Grading tables only work if people understand words/terms in the same way, and if they place the same value/weight on the relative judgments/assessments they are making. I've seen posts from members here on the verge of cardiac arrest if their pride and joy picks up a single mark. I own in excess of 300 guitars and basses, and have long since gone passed the point where single marks register on my heart rate. Being serious, though, as someone who used to trade in rare vinyl my own experiences tell me that, even where an agreed grading system exists (Record Collector in the UK), sellers are often inclined to be economic with descriptions and push the standard of grading, whereas buyers are inclined to have unrealistic and unrealisable expectations.

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1342969815' post='1743254']On bit of a sidenote... Anyone actually read a bad remark on the feedback section about anyone ?[/quote]
Not much. And given the number of threads like this one, where a buyer clearly has issues with a seller (I put myself in that category, being out of pocket paying for repairs to two instruments, where the sellers agreed to reimburse those repair costs, but never did), I'd question the lack of negative comments therein. Personally, I find the design and construct of the feedback folder to be totally lacking, and place very little value on the comments therein. In the absence of clear rules as to how feedback should be constructed/submitted, the presence of a feedback folder awards a false sense of security/assurance. I've sometimes wondered if there's a not upsetting the applecart mindset.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1343080837' post='1745084'] the presence of a feedback folder awards a false sense of security/assurance. I've sometimes wondered if there's a not upsetting the applecart mindset.
[/quote]

Not sure I'd agree with this. I think they are a bit like employers references - you read between the lines and focus on what is NOT said. I've found them to be very useful. But on the other hand I have dealt with newbies and sellers/buyers with no written feedback. So far so good!