Why become a member? ×

The vital importance of staying healthy and looking after yourself.

Bass-Thing

I couldn't agree more with all the comments, and best of luck to one and all.

I used to be very fit, I was into the gym big time about ten years ago, and rode mountain bikes regularly, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm now a tub of lard with knackered knees, 6'3" and 18st....and 47 years old. I REALLY need to loose some weight.[i] Really[/i].

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Grim13' timestamp='1343062969' post='1744613']
Get a dog if at all possible! I used to join the posers down the gym, but I never shifted my gut. We adopted a little staffy cross 3 years ago and I've been lean ever since. I'm within a pound of my ideal weight, which is important as I suffer from a chronic condition that takes a lot out of me. An hour or 2 walking through the woods just watching 'the boy' scampering about with no one else around is fantastic. You don't even realise that you are exercising. There isn't much chance of a training injury, either.

You only understand how important your health is when you lose it. At that point, the NHS seems like an utter miracle. I'm only here now because of it.
[/quote]

More of a cat person myself but this is sound advice. Cats are good for keeping stress levels low. Big fan of the NHS. One of my daughters has special needs and they have looked after her brilliantly. They took great care of me too!

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1343049149' post='1744245']
Wing Chung is great. A bit 'harder' than tai chi but similar principles. I must say I preferred pushing hands. The other big problem with sticky hands is that you will have to change or boil your stings a lot more often!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry couldn't resist it)
[/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1343063539' post='1744632']
I couldn't agree more with all the comments, and best of luck to one and all.

I used to be very fit, I was into the gym big time about ten years ago, and rode mountain bikes regularly, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm now a tub of lard with knackered knees, 6'3" and 18st....and 47 years old. I REALLY need to loose some weight.[i] Really[/i].
[/quote]
Any idea of your blood type (O,A,B,AB)? Just asking...

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1343063539' post='1744632']I used to be very fit, I was into the gym big time about ten years ago, and rode mountain bikes regularly, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm now a tub of lard with knackered knees, 6'3" and 18st....and 47 years old. I REALLY need to loose some weight.[i] Really[/i].
[/quote]

I'm an inch taller, a stone heavier and 3 years older. My knees are fine, but my back goes out on a fairly regular basis, it was worse when I did the CC mountain biking (which is what caused it) but it seemed worth it. Swimming would probably be your best low impact direction (I hate swimming!)

Years ago my excellent physio told me that regular [i]"frightfulness"[/i] is perfect for a bad back & should drop everything back into place, but my other half wants it in writing & the physio's 200+ miles away & retired now.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1343083607' post='1745160']
I'm an inch taller, a stone heavier and 3 years older. My knees are fine, but my back goes out on a fairly regular basis, it was worse when I did the CC mountain biking (which is what caused it) but it seemed worth it. Swimming would probably be your best low impact direction (I hate swimming!)

Years ago my excellent physio told me that regular [i]"frightfulness"[/i] is perfect for a bad back & should drop everything back into place, but my other half wants it in writing & the physio's 200+ miles away & retired now.
[/quote]

A few years ago I had a prolapsed disc in my lower back which was absolute agony, plus I couldn't sit because it was catching on mu sciatic nerve (I could only stand or lie down). It took 8 weeks for me to get back to something like normal but one of the things that really helped was and Inversion Table. Basically to varying degrees you can hang upside down and the traction it provides is wonderful for your back. I still use it regularly, don't really have lower back trouble any more an I've grown in height by about half an inch. It folds up behind the sofa too. Worth checking out if you have back problems and gelps lower blood pressure too.

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1343127564' post='1745608']
A few years ago I had a prolapsed disc in my lower back which was absolute agony, plus I couldn't sit because it was catching on mu sciatic nerve (I could only stand or lie down). It took 8 weeks for me to get back to something like normal but one of the things that really helped was and Inversion Table. Basically to varying degrees you can hang upside down and the traction it provides is wonderful for your back. I still use it regularly, don't really have lower back trouble any more an I've grown in height by about half an inch. It folds up behind the sofa too. Worth checking out if you have back problems and gelps lower blood pressure too.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind, though so far I've not had a problem that a good sports physio can't deal with, but there's always a first time.

Although not quite to the same level of issues as you've endured. November 2010 My lung collapsed (twice) and I spent the full month in hospital unable to move for the most part. It made me appreciate my family a lot more and I'll be honest, ever since then I've been more willing to try new things and generally been a happier person.