Why become a member? ×

how to look on stage

SpaceChick

Apologies if this has been posted before. But my friend sent me this and it really made me laugh.

(Parental warning, it contains bad language, but no scenes of a sexual nature :P )

[url="http://splattermusic.com/oddities/bassists-look-too-bored-with-mark-hoppus/"]http://splattermusic.com/oddities/bassists-look-too-bored-with-mark-hoppus/[/url]

It depends on the music I suppose. If the music is only incidental, and appearances count, then so be it. Anyone genuinely interested in music for itself, could not give a damn what the bassist ( or any other member of the band for that matter) did or how he looked, provided he could [b]play. [/b]

Miles Davis regularly turned his back to the audience when he performed. Did not seem to bother anyone, as they were there to listen as much as see. ;)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1343305265' post='1748592']
Miles Davis regularly turned his back to the audience when he performed. Did not seem to bother anyone, as they were there to listen as much as see. ;)
[/quote]

Equally you can turn it around and say that a gig audience are there to see as much as listen and therefore you should probably give them something worth seeing.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343305716' post='1748602']
you should probably give them something worth seeing.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean. Most people go to see the particular artist play his/her music. If they want a fashion parade, then that's a different story. :P

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1343306133' post='1748614']
Not sure what you mean. Most people go to see the particular artist play his/her music. If they want a fashion parade, then that's a different story. :P
[/quote]

While acknowledging the fact that not all gigs are the same IMO a "rock" gig should appeal to the visual senses as much as the auditory ones. Remember you've got to give the audience something to make up for the fact that live most bands present a louder but less well mixed version of their recordings.

If there's nothing worth watching, you'd probably be better of staying at home and playing the album loud. The beer is likely to be better, and less chance you'll stick to the carpet.

BRX is dead right. I've said it before, and I WILL say it again. In popular music, most people SEE music before they HEAR it.

Music is much more a lifestyle choice than an art choice. It's very important that the 'listener' identifies with the artist or band. That can be superficial or pretty deep. But that connection MUST be made by the audience if the artist is to be successful.

Anyone who thinks their success is dependent on the quality of their music is seriously way off beam, and kidding themselves. When you have a reputation, you can then exploit the quality and lifestyle values of your music, until then it's all image and attitude, unless you only want to be liked by other musicians.

[/quote]

I went to see Santana 20 odd years back and he did exactly this. P*ssed me off no end, I didn't pay to see him treat it as a rehearsal.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1343308716' post='1748673']
Nah Nige, nobody can see you, you're like a ninja...

All they see is a massive big shiny thing floating in the corner on its own - its almost like a low budget paranormal experience :D
[/quote]
:D You wouldn't believe how many people want to talk about the gloves rather the the bass or the grooves mate :)

Funny vid!!

My girlfriend watched an old .mpg clip of me at a festival in Portugal 11yrs ago and thought I was like Keith Flint from the Prodigy! I'm too old and fat for that crap these days. I still have fun, albeit without jumping off stage monitors and silly hair cuts!

Sometimes you just don't have the stage space to perform in a physical way, but at least make it look like you are enjoying yourself. Smile!!! Well, unless you play Indie...smiling is not a requisite!

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1343316525' post='1748876']
It's an age old argument - those who think it's about image are usually making up for the below par music, those who think it's about the music generally look like crap.
[/quote]

Why can't you do both?

Music is about conveying emotions. Your facial expressions and body language are as much as this as the notes you play.

If Miles Davis turned his back on the audience he was conveying an emotion/making a statement. I find it difficult to believe he did it during solos.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1343326357' post='1749053']
Music is about conveying emotions. Your facial expressions and body language are as much as this as the notes you play.

If Miles Davis turned his back on the audience he was conveying an emotion/making a statement. I find it difficult to believe he did it during solos.
[/quote]

Pretty much this. Certainly I hate listening to/watching bands that look like they've got better places to be.

[/quote]

Well, I was around at the time and beg to differ. Lots of hostile press re Miles's stage presentation (lack of). And that was in the days when jazz was big and regularly reported in the mainstream press.