Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI21 Settings

pobrien_ie

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1343348554' post='1749478']
I found the suggested settings on the Sansamp BDDI weren't to my liking either. Always got the best results by starting with all the controls flat, and just making a tone from scratch. Not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps :)
[/quote]

This is exactly what I do with my BDI21. Blend on Full, possibly boost the Gain a bit, to get some grind, but other than that, everything at 12 o`clock. Sounds great.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1343369303' post='1749526']
Well at least now I know it's not just my imagination! On other forums I've seen a lot of love for the suggested settings. Didn't mind them too much until it came to a band situation. Then they were awful....non-existant in the mix.
[/quote]

The suggested settings are probably more intended for going straight into the desk with. Never used it that way myself, I go into my amps input, which I'm assuming is what you're doing?

I used a BDI-21 directly driving a power amp and couldn't really get a sound I liked - until I tried boosting the low-mids with the parametric eq on my channel strip. The BDI-21 on its own puts a big hole in the mid frequencies but if you can eq your way around that, it really shines.

EDIT: Or simply cut the lows and highs on the BDI. That will bring back some of the definition in the mids.

Edited by dincz

I use a BDI as a pre driving a power amp too, and use the suggested SVT setting with blend on full and a bit more drive. Sounds immense, though I'm in a rock trio, so there's no problem being heard!

Edited by discreet

I found it a little muddy to and then I maxed out the town control on my basses and it sounds great. That little bit of treble sparkle seeps through and really adds that extra bit of definition when playing with the band.

Another trick is to leave the blend control at about 2 o'clock.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1343377177' post='1749654']
I found it a little muddy to and then I maxed out the town control on my basses and it sounds great. That little bit of treble sparkle seeps through and really adds that extra bit of definition when playing with the band.

Another trick is to leave the blend control at about 2 o'clock.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Great....sounds like another option! I defintiely have room to boost the tone on my bass.

Funnily enough when I got the BDI first I just tried it direct into a lptop and it actually sounded really good :blink:

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1343378127' post='1749677']
That's the thing, they sound amazing on their own but not particularly useful in a band setting![/quote]

I wouldn't agree with that! :) But there are lots of variables - which bass, which amp, line-up, and so on and so forth.

Try the amp with all eq set at midday. Everything on full on the bass, and all controls at midday on the BDI21. From there, it`s a case of tweaking. It is easy to over-mush the sound with these, so having everything flat is the place to start.