Why become a member? ×

Grabber pickup/tone advice

stingraybassman

Hi Guys,

Just having a few minor issues tone wise with my Custom Build Grabber.

I love the bass, and I mean love in a slightly irrational way. But I have recently left a band that were quite heavy and I used it with overdrive 90% of the time and it was a Thrice growl machine, perfect for what we were doing.

I have the possibility of a new band that are much more mellow and ambient, without the drive I just feel the bass doesn't have the cut or tone it did. Pickup wise it had a DiMarzio model one into a 4 band active preamp. Im wondering if I need to look at something closer to the original Grabber pickup to get a bit more of an authentic tone. I also wonder if the fact i have to have the pole pieces cranked right up to get a decent output might make a difference to overall tone. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Olly

At the risk of stating the obvious; the only thing that will sound like a Grabber is a Grabber of course!

But to get close to authentic look / sound, and for that articulate tone you're looking for now, I'd say a Bartolini or Nordstrand soapbar humbucker (one of them ought to fit the Model 1 sized hole....) with a passive circuit.