Why become a member? ×

Anyone play a bit of cello?

Since I have learnt to read a bit I quite fancy playing something different, I dont have a fretless and never played anything with a bow but I understand cello is read from the same clef as bass so once I can get my head around the tuning basically the top 4 strings from a 5 string tuned to c? ADGC I think I could get something going. Anyone else had a go or even a virtuoso?

I know this is not Cellochat but to my mind its a bass on its end :lol:

Makes sense, although you'd have the highest pitched string at the right, which could be fun.
I didn't even get to the stage where I had my own cello, I just used one of the school's ones, like when you forget your PE kit and have to use the smeggy communal plimsolls.

Edited by Roland Rock

I've twatted around on my daughter's cello a bit and the new intervals do take a bit of getting used to. Having said that as I am also trying to teach myself tenor mandola (like a mandolin but a fifth down) and tuned like a viola its something I need to get used to anyway.
What is also weird is that although the string length is similar to a bass the 'fret' spacing is a lot closer together as the bridge is halfway up the instrument.