Why become a member? ×

1968 Fender Stratocaster with 1982 American Fender Neck. Possible ties with Hendrix.

Hi guys,

I have a bit of an odd one here... with a loose, non substantiated, but plausable link to Hendrix.

This is a Blonde 1968 original Fender body, fully loaded with correct pick-ups etc attached to a 1982 American Fender Neck, it's a right handed guitar, strung lefty at the moment. She is all there, a fully working, well playing beast, just with a neck 14 years younger than her body!

So, now to try and fully, accurately describe this vintage lady... I would very much advise viewing of this guitar prior to purchase so you can see her for yourself and take a look at the various identity marks showing what year the body/neck are.

As I mentioned, the body is a 1968 Fender Stratocaster body, in Blonde showing significant signs of wear as one would expect for a guitar that has been used well for all of its life in one way or another. It does have a few dings, again to be expected, but the body is sound other than that, you can see the wear in the paint, fully and naturally relic'd over its 45 years of life. The pick-ups are original to the body, as is the hardware, knobs and electrics but the scratch plate has been changed around the same time as the neck, possibly later along with the screws etc. The body has no backplate, as you can see the tremelo system is open to the world.

I have a quite concise list of points that any potential buyer is welcome to tick off, I have original infomation regarding dating the pots, and electronics etc that we can go over if you want to buy so you feel comfortable everything is on the money.

The neck is a 1982 (See serial number E207020) you can check this online at the guitar data project. This was bought in 1982 as new and fitted to the strat, it has been played and gigged probably at least once a week for the last 30 years, hence the blackening of the neck mainly towards the bottom of the neck. As much as this looks err... "vintage" to say the least, everything is still solid and very much playable.

This guitar has seen relentless use for over 30 years, and the body has seen use for probably 33 years or so. I am unsure what life the body has seen between 1971 and 1979. The previous owner of this body sold it to my producer in 1979 I believe. Right, that was the facts, now for the story...

The guitars body was built in 1968, and the previous owner (prior to my producer) adamently claims that he aquired the guitar in either 1969 or 1970 at a Jimi Hendrix gig in London, where Jimi had taken the Strat (Then with its original neck) and smashed it on stage, this previous owner goes on to say he was one of the ones at the front who grabbed the body and wrestled for it, before staking claim and running out of the venue, body in hand. This chap was from Ireland where the body ended up for the next decade or so before being sold to my producer (no idea for how much) along with a photo from the gig (which within the last 30 years has gone missing) Everything seems to tie in, dates, body style, colour, etc but obviously I cannot substantiate this story, I'd love to believe its true because this guitar has bags of soul, and would be fitting to have been smashed by Hendrix, but alas, this is just the story we are told. There may be a way to varify it, but as is, it is sold as a 1968 loaded body with a 1982 neck.

See the pictures, looks at its character and come round for a play if you want, please no tyre kickers though, regardless of the story being true or not, shes a real soulful player.

Any questions, ask away, I will do my best to answer.

I'm in wickford, and available on 07912222127.

Russ. x

[attachment=134336:Fender1.jpg][attachment=134337:Fender2.jpg][attachment=134338:fender3.jpg][attachment=134339:fender4.jpg][attachment=134340:fender5.jpg][attachment=134341:fender6.jpg][attachment=134342:fender7.jpg]

Edited by binky_bass

• 9 months later...

I forgot to post the most important thing... £2600 is the asking price, which obviously doesnt take into account the Hendrix Story. £2600 for a 1968 strat with a 1982 neck seems fair considering 1968 strats are going for between £7000 and £10000 depending on condition.