Why become a member? ×

Rediscovering my BDI-21

dincz

Until recently I was using the BDI-21 as a preamp directly feeding my power amp and I never really got on with it. Muddy and indistinct sound with a bit of furry/sizzly stuff up top. But I've recently been using it into a channel strip and the control of mids in the parametric just brings the whole thing to life. I'm in bass heaven.

That was apropos of nothing at all - just wanted to share my joy :)

I too took a long time to get to the point where i liked mine. In fact i had it for about two years and only used it a few times, then one day thought i'd use it and then sell it. That night it all just seemed to click and ive gone on to use something like this all the time now. (BDDI, now Paradriver).
For me it was the use of the blend control that brought things to life. I had been suing it full on and while it worked at the first gig, the one i had to use it for as i had no back line) other times it sounded as described in the first post.

Never used them as a pre amp though, always in front of my amp, and mostly with the drive turned off.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1344249054' post='1761595']For me it was the use of the blend control that brought things to life[/quote]

Apart from the lack of mid EQ, I also found the setting of the blend to be key. I rarely use more than 8 o'clock on the blend control.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1344251600' post='1761651']
Apart from the lack of mid EQ, I also found the setting of the blend to be key. I rarely use more than 8 o'clock on the blend control.
[/quote]

Same here. The lack of mids was never a problem for me, my cab has more than enough that the slight mid loss was welcome but getting the blend just right was the key. I also like the tone with the blend right off, so its just like using active EQ.

Mine's been a staple part of my board ever since i bought it. Currently it's sitting in one of my bypass loops as i use it for a more bass-heavy and much more rounded tone which i use for softer songs. I've used it as a pre-amp for in the past as well, for recording some covers and for acoustic guitar actually.

Though i must admit, it can be really annoying too. For some unknown reason mine will only work if it's on battery or if it's powered via my Boss tuners output, not from my power supply or it's own individual supply either.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore