Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know anything about this bass?

chrismuzz

A friend of mine just posted this up on Facebook asking if anybody has any info on it. I'm no expert myself but I knew one of you guys would be able to shed some light! :)

This is all the info he has so far:

[color=#333333]"It's a Shergold and it says Custom on the truss rod cover. Can't find anything about it online, searches are only coming up with th more famous shergolds. It also has a threeway switch which says 'guitar' and 'bass' in positions 1 and 3 respectively."[/color]

[color=#333333][/color]

Edited by chrismuzz

Odd one, this. It looks like a Shergold Meteor body with a bass neck. AFAIK, the Meteor was only made as a six-string guitar. It's possible it's a Shergold Modulator bass that has been reshaped. Certain the Fender-style bridge is non-original. The Control 'module' is indeed the type found on Shergold Customs.

Best bet is to sign up at Shergold and ask them for info: [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/index.html"]http://www.shergold.co.uk/index.html[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

As moderator of the Shergold Owners forum (www.shergold.co.uk/forum) maybe I can help?[list]
[*]The body is certainly a Shergold Meteor shape, but as far as we know no basses were ever made. The finish doesn't look right either - in colour or condition (they tend to split and crack, not wear). So let's look at the bits.
[*]Headstock is Modulator type (with string guides). Can't see the machine heads but they should be elephant ear Schallers.
[*]Pickup is correct for a post 1977 pre 1982 Marathon bass, not a Modulator (they had 16 pole pieces).
[*]Bridge is correct bent metal plate version for the Marathon bass. Some early ones (1978?) had chrome saddles.
[/list]
However, the switchplate gives it away - it's the same as used on the Shergold Custom Double Necks. Hence the writing of guitar/basss on one switch - to turn on the relevant set of pickups/neck. And doublenecks were the only basses to use Modulator necks with Marathon pickups and bridges...

I'd suggest that someone has split a double neck in two and made a new body for the bass.

See here for a pic of the original: [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/gallery.html?item_id=19"]http://www.shergold....html?item_id=19[/url]

Is there a serial number? Should be on an oblong metal plate either on the back of the headstock or next to the neck plate. If there isn't - and there's no sign of one ever having been fitted (eg. two screw holes) - then it's a new body. Shergold put serial numbers on everything, even prototypes.

if there is a serial number, maybe I can track down even more info...

Nice bass. Must be a bit unbalanced though as the neck with string guides is quite heavy and without the pushed forward top horn of the Marathon the centre of gravity is probably in a bad place.

I still want it!

Regards

Ian

Hello Guys;

Well, this is a strange one!

'Stacker' is wrong about the bass bridge.....this is a standard bass bridge fitted to the Marathon bass and the "standard" Custom Doubleneck guitars which came in 6/4, 12/4 12/6 and one or two 4/8 basses.AND
also wrong about a modified Modulator bass body. Modulator basses have two 16 pole pickups and a large perspex bridge...of more later!

The pickup is a standard Shergold 8 pole which was fitted to Marathon basses and the "standard" Custom double.

The control plate is definately from a Shergold Custom Double neck , so most of the switches on that bass don't do anything!

The bass also has two jack socket outputs, which is correct.....
The neck....well I can't make out from the photo what sort of machine head/tuners are used.

If the machine head / tuners are boxed in type, then this neck is from a Custom Double.....as the Custom double...unlike the Marathon bass were fiited with the large string trees, fitted to Modulator,Cavalier,Activator,Marathon Mk II and special orders.

PHOTO (courtesy of a Shergold Forum Member's collection!)

LEFT TO RIGHT 1.MODULATOR MK II c.1982 2. MODULATOR MK1, 3. MODULATOR 6 c.'76/78 4.MARATHON 6 BASS.

[attachment=116377:Modulators.jpg]

If the machine heads are large Schaller type ,the neck is from a Modulator bass. Cavalier necks were different, Activator necks are 2 octave and Rosewood fingerboard.

So in conclusion, I feel sure this is one half of a Shergold Custom double and someone has remade a bass body!!

Photos courtesy of Scott Baldwin 'Shergold/Hayman luthier' www.grubersaberhagen.co.uk

[u][b]Shergold Custom 6/4 double neck[/b][/u]

[attachment=116378:Shergold6_4.jpg]

[u][b]Shergold Custom Double Control Plate[/b][/u]

[attachment=116379:Shergold6_4controlplate.jpg]

[u][b]Shergold Custom Double 'special order"[/b][/u]

[attachment=116380:ShergoldCustom6_4.jpg]

[u][b]Shergold Custom GSH Marathon (2012)[/b][/u]

[attachment=116381:GSHmar4b.jpg]

If any of you are interested in Shergold and Hayman guitars and basses, please join the Shergold guitar forum!

Regards,

Mike

p.s. Ian Feber, you beat me to it.....and.....you have tooo many Shergold and Haymans!!!

Edited by MIKEMARSHALL

[attachment=117084:shergold12-bodyA.jpg]

Well....I've found this Shergold 12 string........which has a very similar layout!!! so,.....its not quite clear as to the history of the body shape as there is a possibility that there were some guitars put together from a mish mash of remaining parts when the original factory closed in 1992 after Jack Golder died.....a year after Leo Fender.

Mike

[quote name='MIKEMARSHALL' timestamp='1346407019' post='1788789']
[attachment=117084:shergold12-bodyA.jpg]
there is a possibility that there were some guitars put together from a mish mash of remaining parts when the original factory closed in 1992 after Jack Golder died.....a year after Leo Fender.
[/quote]

That's really interesting, I bet there are some real oddities about!