Why become a member? ×

Pre Ernie Ball Musicman

ableton

Hi Bass People

Well after 32 years with my Musicman Stingray the time has come for me to part with it.

I bought the 'man' in 1980 and it's the only bass I've ever used. I must have done getting on for 10,000 gigs with it as I used to work as a pro gigging musician doing stuff like theatres and ships etc.

I have seriously thought about handing it down to my lad who is 6 as a kind of heirloom however my little man is into drums and probably girls by the time he gets to 10 lol.

My Stingray is very very well used, frets are worn but the feel is just awesome. It has never been dropped and is totally 100% original and genuine. The only thing missing is the mutes. I even still have the original hang tag lol.

So dudes what would be a fair price to sell this for? It is not mint condition but no major wear or damage.
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what it is worth.

Over the years I've tried them all. Before buying this one in 1980 I played Pre-CBS Fenders etc. More recently I got hold of a Lakland 44-94 and it was quite nice. I just wasn't doing any gigs to break it in and ended up getting rid of it.

I'd like to get another Lakland out of the proceeeds of selling my Stingray and just have it there to pick up and play for fun through my GK combo.

I'm going to really miss this bass but feel its time to let it go.

I'd really appreciate any advice on what it is worth so I don't get ripped off.

I'm on holiday right now so can't post pics but will do soon

Oh it's in natural finish with maple neck.

Cheers all in advance for any replies. it's been a good few years since I last played professionally (6 years) I miss it but now work mainly in technology (lecturer in music technology).

Peace

Lee

Edited by ableton

First of all, Hi Lee, good to hear from. I have a 1980 Stingray, lefty in sunburst, rosewood fingerbouard, it is a lovely bass.
Price wise, we would have to see condition but generally they go for anything up tp 2 grand, depending on condition and originality. Look forward to seeing pics when you're back from holiday.
Steve.

As Steve says its all about the pics even that hang tag alone could be £50+ on ebay!

My rule of thumb is;
Battered with no case and a few slight modifications, unless the modifications are severe or parts missing £1200 minimum.
Nice condition with a few dings and a bit of mojo but all standard with some kind of vintage style case £1400-1700.
Very tidy all original with case £1700-1900.
Very tidy all original, teardrop MM case, 70's with epoxy preamp and strung thru etc £1900+
1976 with teardrop case in mint condition will crack the £3k if one ever comes on the market, never seen it happen yet, they have always had some kind of issue.

Lets see some pics, by mutes missing do you meen just the pads or have the actually spring plates and thumb turns been took off and lost?

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1344104525' post='1759922']
Mine's very tidy, original strap, mutes, non epoxy pre, non original case, 9 out of 10 condition, so as a result I'm reluctant to gig it. :(
[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343992599' post='1758289']
IMO "never gigged" = not as good as the bass(es) I am gigging.
[/quote]

Thanks all

Will post a few pics tommorow if I get a chance.

Nope the full mute assembly is missing. I bet I could find it if I had a good look :-)

I will also post the serial number.

When I come to sell it I'd love it to go to a player.

Cheers. I appreciate it.

Lee