Why become a member? ×

Values

Stephen Houghton

Hi

Has anyone got any accurate idea what the values for these two basses are worth, any other info woyuld be appreciated. Cant find anything about thew El Maya as they are very rare. I know its an original with serial number and not the cheap Maya version, now it was made in Japan and then the factory was destroyed in an earthquake shortly after i bought this 1982 could be a bit later i cant remember properly.

The Furch bass is a roundback accoustic and was one of the very early models from Furch, made by a master guitar builder Mr Furch himself. I bought this around 1996, it has the original Furch emblem and its a type 413 and No 0399. It is electric with sliders, plays nice and from what i can find out is very rare?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers Stephen :)

[attachment=114908:DSCF1331.JPG]

[attachment=114908:DSCF1331.JPG]

[attachment=114910:DSCF1322.JPG]

[attachment=114911:DSCF1329.JPG]

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1344097890' post='1759809']
search in the "japcrap" thread- a couple of el maya's popped up in there. My guess £50-200 range
[/quote]

Gotta be worth more than that, Maya yes but not El Maya surely? You cant get these anymore!

Still plays better than fender precision

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1344103886' post='1759904']
Gotta be worth more than that, Maya yes but not El Maya surely? You cant get these anymore!

Still plays better than fender precision
[/quote]

You can't get small pox anymore either.
I'm just going by the prices I've seen over the last few years. Bassassin isn't around at the moment but theres one or two more folk with a bit more knowledge.
Maya/el maya you need to find someone who knows enough about japcrap to know the difference between the Rokkoman brands- but not someone who knows enough that they will just sit on ebay picking up japcrap bargins at around the £100 mark....
now given a USA fender is going down to about £500 secondhand... and you can buy a second hand JV squier for £450 (not collectors, but with up grade pickups and new fretless ebony board) and the last Squier SQ P bass went for £350 ish... all of which to the general player as a brand are more desirable.... I don't quite know how much you would be expecting to get for this? I have picked up similar quality japcrap, and of far more desirable brands for under £100

The previous posters are not being 'smartarses', they're just letting you know that they are unable to make the image larger as it gives an error message.

I've been trying to find out about these Maya/el Maya basses, and you're right, there's not much info out there.
It seems that the El Maya are a more premium line than the Maya, but neither is particularly valuable. A good condition mid 70s el Maya bass failed to sell on EBay recently at a starting bid of £350. I've heard they are quite good, but unfortunately that does not always translate to £££. Like Luke says, It's a little known brand, and for that sort of money, people could buy a nice Jap Fender, with no risk of depreciation.

The reason I'm looking at these is that I'm after a cheap backup bass, and my daughter is called Maya, and would love her name on a bass! Please PM me if you're selling for a sensible price.

Edit - actually scratch that, I've just noticed the gold hardware, which is not my bag. Also the neck-through is a bit of a turn off for me. Good luck though :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

I'd never heard of Furch. I guess you know they're still in business. Thomann stocks them. A Furch guitar was up on eBay last week starting at £549 and it got no bids.

As has been said, rarity and quality don't count for anything if it's a brand buyers don't recognise or find appealing. Japanese copy brands like Ibanez, Greco, Fernandez and Burny can get £500+, but even then it depends which model it is.

Check out Furch here, with a detailed history. They seem to be really rated as far as i can find out.

[url="http://furch.cz/?stranka=home"]http://furch.cz/?stranka=home[/url]

Also no offence meant with Smartarses comment i was joking, see smileys. Pics are coming up fine on my computer if you click on the images they enlarge.

I thought the "embiggen" comment was sarcasm, google embiggen for meaning and you will see what i mean. It means simply, to exagerate :)

APPOLOGIES :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1344109534' post='1760013']
The previous posters are not being 'smartarses', they're just letting you know that they are unable to make the image larger as it gives an error message.

I've been trying to find out about these Maya/el Maya basses, and you're right, there's not much info out there.
It seems that the El Maya are a more premium line than the Maya, but neither is particularly valuable. A good condition mid 70s el Maya bass failed to sell on EBay recently at a starting bid of £350. I've heard they are quite good, but unfortunately that does not always translate to £££. Like Luke says, It's a little known brand, and for that sort of money, people could buy a nice Jap Fender, with no risk of depreciation.

The reason I'm looking at these is that I'm after a cheap backup bass, and my daughter is called Maya, and would love her name on a bass! Please PM me if you're selling for a sensible price.

Edit - actually scratch that, I've just noticed the gold hardware, which is not my bag. Also the neck-through is a bit of a turn off for me. Good luck though :-)
[/quote]

Thanks for the information its appreciated. B)

I think Luke has hit the nail right on the head. All that brass and the through neck probably dates the El Maya to the late 70s/early 80s, and it's almost certainly post 'lawsuit'. The fact that it won't pass as a real Fender from a bit of a distance means there will be less takers for it, even though the quality may well surpass lesser but more accurate P basses.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1344097890' post='1759809']
search in the "japcrap" thread- a couple of el maya's popped up in there. My guess £50-200 range
[/quote]

I'm no expert... but I've acquired & shifted several Maya basses over the years. Also had the El Maya guitar version of this bass, which was a very nice instrument, decent quality as were the other Mayas I had. However, it aint a Greco, Burny or Tokai etc...
IMHO think Luke's above guess-timate is pretty bang-on, especially with regard to current market. If lucky you might get the top end (£250ish) on Ebay if you gave it a good listing & description, nice photos etc... but I wouldn't pay much more than that myself. Just my opinion :unsure:
I would personally keep it, if I liked it. It's a lovely bass :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:P Right, may have something to do with I played it for donkeys years so it feels like an extra arm to me, but does play well and the Fenders I have played (I wait for the hail of abuse) I really dont like. Just my personal, I have played a few over the years but just dont like the feel, sorry guys :yarr: :D
My Musicman wipes the floor with anything else I have ever touched.

• 11 months later...

Just put this on ebay (El Maya, Acoustic sold for £500 ages ago) and have had a good response but mostly from Europe, asked for £400 just to see what happened and got offers for the asking price plus offered to pay all shipping, well chuffed, had a pickup offer and cash on collection from an Italian guy in the UK. KRK monitors here I come :) These must be good, one guy is a collector and says he's been after this bass for years whoo hooo!