Why become a member? ×

What a great way to showcase different basses.

steve-soar

I cannot believe that people would not have noticed the change in tone if they weren't made aware the basses changed.
The 'Ray sounds nothing like the Alembic that sounds nothing like the Jazz that sounds nothing like the Warwicks... let alone any of those compared to the fretless.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1344424560' post='1764198']
If you were making a youtube video, wouldn't you put the washing away instead of having it strewn all over the sofa?
[/quote]

Some of the for sale photos on here feature such delights too, it has put me off enquiring about a few instruments in the past tbh. I would forever associate someone's dirty y-fronts and socks on their bedroom floor with the bass, I don't need that in my life :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344425099' post='1764208']
Some of the for sale photos on here feature such delights too, it has put me off enquiring about a few instruments in the past tbh. I would forever associate someone's dirty y-fronts and socks on their bedroom floor with the bass, I don't need that in my life :)
[/quote]

I though that also lol

Couldn't be arsed to listen to the Jamiroquai one but in the beatles clip I did think, like one of the early posters, that it was surprising how similar basses can be made to sound. I say 'made to sound' as for eg the jazz doesn't really sound how my own jazz sounds at all so it's far from a definitive test. Also given that the mix is (understandably) tweaked so the bass is far louder proprtionally in the mix than would happen at a real gig then a lot of those subtle differences would probably disappear. Wouldn't swap any of those on display for any of my current 3 main basses.

He seems to play better on that Streamer Jazzman than he does on anything else, I reckon that's his #1 bass. Also the Warwicks will probably sound better on that track just because we're used to hearing a Warwick on it.

Personally I liked the Jazz and the Streamer sounds the best. Wasn't that impressed with the Star bass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1344440791' post='1764566']
He seems to play better on that Streamer Jazzman than he does on anything else, I reckon that's his #1 bass. Also the Warwicks will probably sound better on that track just because we're used to hearing a Warwick on it.
[/quote]

I've never heard the track before.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344415701' post='1763999']
I heard pronounced differences on most of them, and subtle differences on some of them.

It's also confirmed for me that I'll never own a Stingray :)
[/quote]

Perhaps I should listen through some decent speakers rather than the built-in to the monitor ones on my PC!! - or get my ears syringed.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1344436574' post='1764463']
it was surprising how similar basses can be made to sound.
[/quote]

A lot of the characteristics of the sound* will come from his playing style so it's not all that surprising. But yeah, once they're all in the hands of the same player it can be surprising how subtle the tone changes can get.

[size=3]* I didn't want to say "tone" as in this context we're talking about the tone from the basses, not the combination of tone plus whatever it is that a player adds. So I used "sound" instead. Not a big point but didn't want to confuse![/size]

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1344449082' post='1764783']
Perhaps I should listen through some decent speakers rather than the built-in to the monitor ones on my PC!! - or get my ears syringed.
[/quote]
Well that explains it then doesn't it, you silly sausage. That's like trying to tell the difference between a butternut squash and Ann Widdicombe's arse through the bottom of a bottle.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344453334' post='1764886']

Well that explains it then doesn't it, you silly sausage. That's like trying to tell the difference between a butternut squash and Ann Widdicombe's arse through the bottom of a bottle.
[/quote]

That's an image. Not one I wanted; but one I now have. Cheers Nige!

Alembic and Star bass for me in this context. The Ray is bottom, but of course Rays don't have to sound like that. In fact the Ray sound here reminds me of my old Aggie GS112s with the tweeter engaged; bottom, searing top, and nothing at all in the middle. ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1344503980' post='1765446']
Alembic and Star bass for me in this context. The Ray is bottom, but of course Rays don't have to sound like that. In fact the Ray sound here reminds me of my old Aggie GS112s with the tweeter engaged; bottom, searing top, and nothing at all in the middle. ;)
[/quote]

Primo. 3EQ, all those options, people slate the one. Sigh.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344453334' post='1764886']
[/quote]

I insist on drinking the entire contents of the bottle before even contemplating looking at anything that resembles Ann Widdicombe's arse.

As for the sound of the Stingray, I find with mine if I plug it in with the same amp settings I use for all my other basses it sounds thin and scratchy. Even with some serious EQing to get a fatter, richer sound it's still over bright and harsh if I play anything above the 12th fret.

Even my bright punchy hifi sounding graphite Status basses sound warmer in the higher registers.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1344518966' post='1765837']
I insist on drinking the entire contents of the bottle before even contemplating looking at anything that resembles Ann Widdicombe's arse.

As for the sound of the Stingray, I find with mine if I plug it in with the same amp settings I use for all my other basses it sounds thin and scratchy. Even with some serious EQing to get a fatter, richer sound it's still over bright and harsh if I play anything above the 12th fret.

Even my bright punchy hifi sounding graphite Status basses sound warmer in the higher registers.
[/quote]I've just played my 1980 Stingray for the last hour, switched to my Status S2 Classic and what Rich says is totally true.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1344554286' post='1766512']
I've just played my 1980 Stingray for the last hour, switched to my Status S2 Classic and what Rich says is totally true.
[/quote]

To your ears :)

The dangers of subjective opinions. Agree, it can he sharp - too sharp is a personal thing, to my mind. This lack of Stingray love is making my heart heavy, lah :(

Still, isn't that the Stingray sound?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1344559873' post='1766557']
To your ears :)

The dangers of subjective opinions. Agree, it can he sharp - too sharp is a personal thing, to my mind. This lack of Stingray love is making my heart heavy, lah :(

Still, isn't that the Stingray sound?
[/quote]

I bought one because I wanted that Stingray sound, and that's exactly what it does.... I'm just surprised how it sounds so different to my Fender and Status basses, it sort of doesn't fit in with the rest of my collection. And I think that's what's happening in this youtube showcase, if he'd set up his amp to sound really good with the Stingray the other basses probably would have sounded too dark.

I've got nothing against Stingrays or Musicman, they can sound great and are full of character.

Yeah, that's a good call, Rich. My own collection is a little esoteric, and I will note that the Stingrays are very distinct from everything else on the rack.

Not tried a 2EQ, but I do find I have the bass fully up on my 3EQ models. I leave the mids to maybe half-way and then end Jo using the Treble a little like a Tone control. Does counter some of the complaints I think people have made - but not all, I guess, if people don't like their inherent sound.

Still, or,ally they get grief for the necks - so a tone debate is a welcome change :)