Why become a member? ×

Replacement Pots for ESP LTD B-15

TomWIC

Morning all,

To summarise, I've been having no end of problems with my ESP LTD B-15 recently. The problem is a 90% loss of volume from the bass, it's been to a local guitar shop for repair twice now, the first time it was "re-wired", the second time I didn't get an explanation as to how it had been fixed. It's fine for a few days, then it'll crap out on me again.

Getting a bit fed up, I took it to a friend who's knowledgeable on these kind of things and unfortunately he couldn't find an explanation either. He got it working again, played it for a few hours, then when I came to pick it up, it had gone again.

He's tried everything, short of replacing the pots and pickups. As pots are the cheaper option, I'm prepared to buy a replacement set in the hope that that solves the problem for good.

So, in short...can anyone tell me what I need to buy and where from?

Many thanks

I think the pots are an unlikely culprit - they either work or they don't, there isn't a halfway point where they can suddenly become more resistive.

The 'what' part is easy - take the little plate off the back of the bass and look at the pot - there will be a value stamped on it.
It's usually something like nnnK and a latter (A or B).

The 'where' is a little more difficult because there are a number of different designs available from different places.
Any chance of posting a pic?

I'd be tempted to suggest the jack socket. It can cause alsorts of problems if it's not contacting enough or contacting in the wrong place. It also gets physically moved, which could explain the way it deteriorates.

I had a similar problem with a pedal when the tip of the jack socket was making an absolutely minute amount of contact on the wrong part of the jack plug.

I know I shouldn't really be making these kinds of statements without at least seeing a photo, but it is something really simple to check for yourself, so can't hurt.

Edited by KingBollock

I've got an Encore P-bass copy laying about at home, so I'll swap over the jack sockets tonight - I can't remember if my mate already tried that but I'll give it a shot.

@Al_Heeley, the pickups are passive, no battery required.

Cheers for the replies gents, I'll grab a few photos this evening before hitting the studio.