Why become a member? ×

Never had a J or a P - what am I missing?

dincz

A very good point there. All my fave bassistes when growing up played Fender Precisions, although they all had quite different sounds (Glen Matlock, Bruce Foxton, JJ Burnell, John Deacon), so this must have "shaped me" in some way.

It's taken me 35 years to come to terms with the fact that Fenders are really the only basses for me. J or P depending on my mood and the gig but always one of them. I tried so hard to like Musicman stingrays, Rickenbackers, etc etc. Wanted to not be like so many bass players and use Fenders.

In the end i came to realise that the sound of any decent fender bass can be made right for the gig you are doing, but the less extreme tone options becomes the sound that nearly everyone recognises and loves from their cd / record collections. In the end we play for an audience to listen and we all want them to enjoy or at least notice the bass.

My advice is try some out, buy one and wait 30 odd years to realise that it is the only one you are using.