Why become a member? ×

Valves, meh....

stingrayPete1977

So I have owned a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 for years now, I later aquired a Shuttle 3.0 for home practice (has no fan) and as a backup for wedding gigs and stuff. Its got plenty of poke through my NEOX 2x12T as it puts out the full 300 watts, that said I would never use it as my main head for bigger gigs, why would you when you have the 600 watt version? Well it became clearer that fuzzy old valves are not for me and the Genz 6.0 is already one of the cleanest valve pre amp heads anyway, too clean for many but the all FET Genz 3.0 sounds great to my ears, really tight and punchy just how I remember my good old Peavey TNT combo back in the day.

After declaring similar in another thread some time ago regarding the ShuttleMax heads as they have both channels but with 600/900 watts Musicman20 made a suggestion of putting the 3.0 through the 6.0 via the FX loop and I kept forgetting to try it....until now! Fecking 'ell :D

Its either going to be my new default rig and I will have to get a ratchet strap to hold it all together or its given me enormous gas for a Shuttle Max 9.2 head!!!!

So as for valves and TC's with this and that knobs, Orange OBT heads, Ampeg PF's and Sansamps etc I'm out as they say, I am not a valve man where bass amps are concerned. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I always liked that Peavey amp, I only changed it to keep up with a guitarists 4x12 Marshall JCM rig, I had an Ashdown for years and never really loved it. Turns out that Peavey was the sound I liked all along. Stingrays have quite a bit of inbuilt grit and sizzle too so maybe I don't need any more especially from the preamp dept?

I can't tell the difference between fuzz,grit, warmth call it what you will, I have played through almost every make of amp over the years but the ones I have liked the most have been solid state pre and power amp equipped. I'm not saying they are better and I'm sure the quest for an Ampeg in a shoe box will continue without me but for me personally I'm not a fan of valves.

Each to their own, and nice one Pete, on finding the exact sound you want.

I recorded with an old Fender Bassman head, through an Ampeg SVT 410HE last week, and that is the sound I want, unfortunately the weight of that gear is too much for me. Up until now I`d been quite content with my GK MB Fusion/Schroeder set-up, but that rig last week, well that was "me".

So am now seriously considering an Ampeg PF500 again, and this time putting it with the PF410HLF. Won`t have as much power, but in all honesty, I don`t even begin to use all the available power in my current set-up. Something I have to think about......