Why become a member? ×

Recording? rookie questions.

MiltyG565

hi.

im currently trying to learn the fine craft of recording. i have no equipment as of yet, but what i was thinking was using a shure sm57 and shoving it in front of my speaker cab, then running that to (and bare with me, im not sure i entirely understand this yet) a midi controller keyboard? then through an exteranl soundcard? all onto logic pro 9.

ok, entirely unsure of that last line. i basically want to be able to record bass/guitar parts, and create melodies, ad synthy parts, and drums using software, and a keyboard, which i believe requires a midi controller keyboard. can i use the keyboard and plug it directly into the computer? also- could i record my bass/guitar using the controller keyboard? or should i run that through an exteranl soundcard?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

A MIDI controller keyboard just sends instructions to wherever you've told it to (virtual keyboard instrument in Logic for example), it doesn't generate or process audio. To record your bass amp through a mic you'll need a soundcard (either the built in one or a USB/Firewire external) to convert the audio to a digital signal that the Mac can process.

If you want to do keyboards and drums through Logic instruments then you'll probably need an external soundcard AND a MIDI keyboard, don't know if there's anything on the market that does both...

ok, yeah i thought i was kinda right in saying i needed both, i just needed it clarified why its right.

maybe i can go now and make controller keyboard which has an inbuilt soundcard? make a mint at it too. :D

i have been told i should use an exteranl soundcard for my laptop, which is a macbook pro (so new, it hasnt even arrived yet).

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1345188195' post='1774630']
Curses - beaten to it

[url="http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeyStudio49i.html"]http://www.m-audio.c...yStudio49i.html[/url]
[/quote]

:D unfortunatly, my computer is going so slow today, it may just crash if i open another window (currently running 2 entire programmes :o)

ray, loving the name. love rage. ill look into that when my computer decides to pick up the pace a little. although my new laptop could be here by that stage :/