Why become a member? ×

Sudden pickup failure?

mcnach

So from time to time I hear of people talking about how their pickup just suddenly stopped working...
I have to admit, I always thought to myself "either you throw around your bass a lot, or you've been messing with the electronics and solder badly".

It just happened to me!!!

recently acquired Jazz bass, with replacement pickups installed by previous owner. Last night I gigged with it. All good. Tonight I take it and... the neck pickup just gives the faintest signal.

:(

I opened it and I can't see anything obviously wrong. The ground wires from the pickup are soldered to a pot, and the solder does look a bit dull... so I'm hoping it's just a bad solder and that I can cure it by remelting the solder.

It's a Nordstrand NJ4SE: split coils. Both sides of the pickup sound equally weak, so I'm hoping this means that it's not the pickup itself, as I imagine only one coil would be affected if that were the case. I suspect a bad ground... maybe one of the extremely thin wires is partially broken inside the very stiff insulation.

It makes me want to check every bass I gig regularly!

Not sure! I will look into it in detail tomorrow. Too tired today to do anything that requires attention... I haven't slept since around 7am on Thursday morning, so after nearly 40h awake I don't trust myself with any soldering or any thinking ;)
I love coffee, but it can only do so much!

I hope it's not the actual pickup... because these are not cheap and I liked it enough to want to buy another.

Router on again??? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I sat down to work on this and... the pickup is dead :(
No continuity between start and finish of the bobbins. I located which of the two bobbins is bad, but that's not much use, as one bobbin alone would be too low output, and only covers two strings anyway :(
And these are not cheap! :angry:

Warming up the iron, to see if the old "remelt the solder at the eyelets" trick works...

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1347067128' post='1796747']
ill take a stab at rewinding it if you're up for it. Ive started on my dead dimarzio copy. Wire keeps snapping (ie, its snapped once and i've gotten annoyed at it), but i think it could work.
[/quote]

ah, when Nordstrand said they'd send me a new one, I offered to send the dead one to them and said "yes, please"... so it's on its way to them already.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1347102957' post='1796952']
shucks! At least thats some good customer service. Are you still getting the new one you ordered?
[/quote]

I ordered one before Nordstrand offered... so yes, I got the one I ordered. That one is going this weekend into the 75RI Jazz, to bring it back to life. The other one will probably go in the Cort GB74. Its high output will probably go well with the MM style pickup at the bridge.

Pickups everywhere!!!! aaaaahhhh!!!! :lol: