Why become a member? ×

Sellers to check 'wanted' section?

Paul S

Good morning Basschat Management.

Would it be possible/worthwhile/pointless exercise to add to the Market Place rules for sellers to check the 'wanted' section before starting a 'for sale' thread? I do try to check the site frequently when I am on the lookout for something but some of it disappears at the speed of light. It can be a little frustrating to see something you posted as wanted some while earlier get snapped up. In the short term it will save people time if they see someone wants what they are looking to sell as it will probably mean not having to do a full post with pics etc. Or is it just tough luck?

Either way, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Paul

Well, yes, you can lead a horse to water etc. But at the moment if someone posts a for sale without a price, people will say 'oi, you need a price, fella'. be nice to have that kind of weight behind checking the wanted. Obviously not enforceable but if it is written up there maybe a few more people would take notice.

[size=1]And, as it is all about me :) I would have my Wizard Trads by now![/size]

If anything, I would encourage the reverse; for people to check items for sale before posting wanted ads.

It seems more reasonable to me to expect a potential buyer to trawl around the place looking for what they want than to expect a seller to trawl around looking for a potential buyer.

But I agree with the basic sentiment. I noticed it recently with a strat for sale and a strat wanted. Ultimately though, I guess it's up to the people involved as I can't see how it could be easily enforced.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1345281195' post='1775782']
Good morning Basschat Management.

Would it be possible/worthwhile/pointless exercise to add to the Market Place rules for sellers to check the 'wanted' section before starting a 'for sale' thread? I do try to check the site frequently when I am on the lookout for something but some of it disappears at the speed of light. It can be a little frustrating to see something you posted as wanted some while earlier get snapped up. In the short term it will save people time if they see someone wants what they are looking to sell as it will probably mean not having to do a full post with pics etc. Or is it just tough luck?

Either way, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Paul
[/quote]

I would vote against it.

A post in the wanted section is not and should not mean you are in some kind of virtual queue towards the next time a particular item appears for sale, and surely if you are that interested, then you should check the "for sale" posts too.
And what if I am selling something but I don't (for whatever reason) want to sell to someone in particular who has a "wanted" post at the time?

It seems like a superficial whimsical rule, and on that basis I would not like to see it written. We should have the fewer number of rules possible to keep the forum running, all in my opinion etc etc.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1345283050' post='1775807']
Well, yes, you can lead a horse to water etc. But at the moment if someone posts a for sale without a price, people will say 'oi, you need a price, fella'. be nice to have that kind of weight behind checking the wanted. Obviously not enforceable but if it is written up there maybe a few more people would take notice.

[size=1]And, as it is all about me :) I would have my Wizard Trads by now![/size]
[/quote]

what are you wanting to achieve?

you want that if I post a for sale ad, someone can come and tell me "oi, there someone who wants one in the wanted forum, so talk to him first"?

do you really need rules that badly?
at the moment, if you notice someone wants to sell something, and you know someone else wants one, you can already post "there's a chap down at the wanted forum looking for one". This sounds like a polite message, and I think it's cool. If you use a "rule" to give you more "weight" (in what way???) it ceases to be polite, and to me that is a general no-no in the forum: some people like to police and they get a kick out of telling people what to do. Those people don't generally improve the forum. Instating a rule like the one you are suggesting (if used in the way I am imagining, maybe I misunderstood you) just gives that type of people more fuel.

Not a good idea.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1345288684' post='1775879']
Jeez, i didn't expect a lynching.

It was only a suggestion - forget it.
[/quote]

:lol: you haven't seen a lynching yet!!!!

hey, I did not mean to offend you, you asked about an idea, and I gave you my answer -politely but firmly.

In no way I was attacking you personally, so I don't appreciate the "lynching" comment, not one bit.

Just because I don't agree with you it does not mean I am against *you*.

When asking for opinions, one should be ready to hear negative as well as positive ones... sorry I hurt your feelings.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1345295486' post='1775985']
Use it to put out the flaming torch? :)

I have days when I can pick a fight in an empty room - must be menopausal or something :) - the internet is a bad place for me to be when that happens!
[/quote]

Actually Paul, thanks for the heads up! Although I don't think it should be a rule, it is a very good idea to check the wanted forum before you put a sale up. Today I have done exactly that and sent messages to two people who were actively looking for the item I was intending to sell. On Monday, if they haven't been in touch I'll put it up in the for sale forum. It's especially useful when the gear that is being sold is something that doesn't come up very often and is in demand.

I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a system where users could sign up to receive email notifications when a thread with certain keywords in the title is posted in the For Sale section? If the forum software could allow for this, it would acheive more or less what the OP is talking about without anyone having to follow arbitrary rules.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1345309823' post='1776183']
I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a system where users could sign up to receive email notifications when a thread with certain keywords in the title is posted in the For Sale section? If the forum software could allow for this, it would acheive more or less what the OP is talking about without anyone having to follow arbitrary rules.
[/quote]

That would be a great idea.
When I was after my white MM SUB, I was regularly checking the ads... then I go away for two weeks and... surely enough, I missed out on one!

[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]Well, it’s hardly a ‘new’ concept is it? The whole ‘For Sale section/Wanted section’ thingy. It doesn’t really need a ‘user guide’[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]If there’s something you’re looking for, have a look in the For Sale section, if you don’t see anything, post in the Wanted section. If you have something for sale, have a look in the Wanted section, if there’s nothing there, post in the For Sale section.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]This is obviously up to the individual though, as they can do as they please, and there may be numerous reasons why someone doesn’t want to do that. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]As for adapting programmes and software to recognise common words, and send flag messages etc, Christ, do we really need to waste time doing something I assumed, wrongly, could be done by the human brain, by the individual.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][/size][font="Verdana"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1345452621' post='1777541']

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]As for adapting programmes and software to recognise common words, and send flag messages etc, Christ, do we really need to waste time doing something I assumed, wrongly, could be done by the human brain, by the individual.[/color][/font][/size]

[/quote]

Just a suggestion, and no different to the way many people use the search functions on eBay, for example. Why the condescension?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1345456037' post='1777597']
Just a suggestion, and no different to the way many people use the search functions on eBay, for example. Why the condescension?
[/quote]

Just my opinion, I think its futile, and pointless, but then I can easily click a link and read it, perhaps others can't.

eBay doesnt email me whenever something I'm looking for pops up??

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1345457310' post='1777611']
I don't bother with it myself, but you can set eBay to save your regular searches and send notifications of any matching results. Some people find it useful. If it's all such a waste of time, what are you even doing reading this thread?
[/quote]

You're obviously right.

Actually, I've banned myself from most sections of this forum, certainly anything remotely off-topic, as opinions aren't allowed. Also, many people have opinions that they believe to be fact. Some people are over-sensitive, and get too easily offended, and many people are just dumb.

The 'Site Issues' topic is now also in that category for me.

Consider me out, as you say, I've already wasted far too much of my life talking about this particular tosh.