Why become a member? ×

Cab problems

thefyst

Hey guys,

Im new so if this is in the wrong place (or more likely been answered time and time again) please point me in the right direction.

I have a set of three custom built cabs, 2 2x10 and a 1x15 with eminance speakers in each. They've been in storage for about 8 months and prior to that where working fine. Yesterday I set them up at a new rehearsal studio and one of the 2x10's sounds like an old man farting in a tin can.

Im assuming there is a blown speaker as there is nothing noticably loose.

My question is how do I check for this? I mean I get could check for impedance problems with the multimeter but I don't know the model number of the speakers and therefore don't know the tolerances.

Any ideas / Suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

TF

A completely blown speaker wouldn't normally make any noise as it's usually the voice-coil that 'blows'. A 'farty' sound suggests some sort of gross distortion to me and I'd be looking for a torn or otherwise broken cone.

What were the storage conditions? 8 months in a damp shed or garage could have led to a damp cone and part of coming adrift from the speaker casing. Rust around the voice coil magnets wouldn't help the sound either.

It's good that you have two 210 cabs. This makes it easier to measure the resistance of the speakers and compare them to the identical speakers in the good cab, so you don't really need to worry about absolute values at this stage. Just make comparative measurements and look for an anomaly.

But first, I'd be taking off the front grille and having a good careful look at the physical condition of the speakers.

Good idea, The place didn't seem all that damp but you never know. Will check on monday and report any findings.

The amp was stored in an outbuilding at a friends garage/workshop with a bunch of other music equipment that hasn't had any other problems. they where boxed in cardboard then a sheet and some carpet over the top to keep them clean as possible.

Would a damaged cone be fixable or a replacement job?

cheers

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345296850' post='1776007']
not ideal storage from the sound of it..... and I think the problem is some sort of corrosion.
New chassis and a lesson learned....??
[/quote]

yep looking that way I guess...will let you know when I get the chance to take it apart and see what's going on