Why become a member? ×

Scales and theory issues

Jam

Hey Jam,

Looks like you've had plenty of help from some of the other theory bods on the forum, but feel free to drop me a PM here, or email me at [email protected] if you want to ask more questions. It sounds to me as though you've probably gone a couple of chapters too far into the book and maybe need to refresh on a couple of the earlier ones.

One of the main ideas in the book is to try to avoid patterns when learning scales. This is how I was taught, and I honestly believe it's the best way to do things if you want to be able to freely play all over the instrument in any key. A lot of work is involved, and it can take a while for some of the theory to go in, but it's worth it in the end believe me!

Like I say, feel free to email me if you need help.

Cheers
Stu

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1345581041' post='1779170']
Working through Stuart Clayton's Scales and Modes book, but I'm really struggling with it today. I sat down after having a bit of a play around with major/minor scales over jam tracks on youtube, and thought I'd do some more practice, try and unravel some more theory.

I've been through all [i]7 chapters[/i] on major/minor scales (though I was tempted to skip some of the exercises...) and stumbled through the section on the circle of fifths but the deeper I get into the book the less I understand. I just spent 10 minutes trying to understand a couple of sentences, and I feel like I'm reading a different language.

I'm sure I'll get it eventually but I feel so stupid at the moment! :/

For example, in the C Major scale, the chord progression is:

C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C
I ii iii IV V vi vii I

So, in any keymajor scale, will ii, iii, and vi always be minor? Will I, IV and V be major? Is vii always diminished?

For example, A major scale:

A, Bm, Cm, D, E, Fm, Gdim, A

Is that correct? How on earth am I going to remember that when I'm playing?!
[/quote]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1345585733' post='1779246']

For example:

i - Major Chord
ii - Minor Chord
iii - Minor Chord
iv - Major Chord
v - Major Chord
vi - Minor Chord
vii - Dom Chord

[/quote]

This is a point of confusion for me. I thought the dominant chord was built on the 5th note of the scale. Likewise the subdominant on the 4th. I understood the 7th to be the leading note. Am I wrong here?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1345640175' post='1779818']

This is a point of confusion for me. I thought the dominant chord was built on the 5th note of the scale. Likewise the subdominant on the 4th. I understood the 7th to be the leading note. Am I wrong here?
[/quote]

You are quite right in that the 5th step of the Major scale provides the root note for the dominant chord. The 4th step of the Major scale provides the root note for the sub-dominant chord.

The quote you have made simply describes that if you create your 1st, 3rd and 5th intervals for each chord starting with each step of the major scale in turn, for example C, E, G then D, F, A, then E, G, B and so on, you will either derive a major or minor or diminished chord for that specific step.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1345640175' post='1779818']

[/quote]

Waaiiiiiiiiit! Which one of you mods has been editing my posts lol!!

vi is a minor chord
vii SHOULD read 'dim chord' for diminished not 'dom' for dominant.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1345640720' post='1779834']
Waaiiiiiiiiit! Which one of you mods has been editing my posts lol!!

vi is a minor chord
vii SHOULD read 'dim chord' for diminished not 'dom' for dominant.
[/quote]
Thank goodness! :lol: I thought I was going doolally :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1345641107' post='1779844']
Thank goodness! :lol: I thought I was going doolally :)
[/quote]

I was sure I'd proof read my reply! I should have gone to specsavers hehehe! My eyes, my eyes.. grooooaaaaaan!

Every grasps theory in different ways but if you're seriously wanting to get into then I hugely recommend getting yourself a cheapy keyboard.

My way of remembering things is purely from knowing what notes makes up a load of chords from my keyboard days (although I can work out most other stuff it doesn't click as quickly).

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1345635071' post='1779716']
Hey Jam,

Looks like you've had plenty of help from some of the other theory bods on the forum, but feel free to drop me a PM here, or email me at [email protected] if you want to ask more questions. It sounds to me as though you've probably gone a couple of chapters too far into the book and maybe need to refresh on a couple of the earlier ones.

One of the main ideas in the book is to try to avoid patterns when learning scales. This is how I was taught, and I honestly believe it's the best way to do things if you want to be able to freely play all over the instrument in any key. A lot of work is involved, and it can take a while for some of the theory to go in, but it's worth it in the end believe me!

Like I say, feel free to email me if you need help.

Cheers
Stu
[/quote]

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the offer of help. Please don't take my struggles as a slight on your book, i am enjoying working through it despite my stupidity! I'll go back to the beginning again and I'm sure I'll be in touch with questions!