Why become a member? ×

Spec Query: Fender 50th Anniversary Precision MIJ

pobrien_ie

Hi all... wondering if anyone knows much about these basses, the 1996 models with the anniversary logo on the back of the headstock to be precise. It's the Fender 50th anniversary as opposed to the Precision 50th anniversary, so it's the standard "modern" P bass shape. Forgive me if this is a little vague, but I don't have any more details myself.

I have an opportunity to buy one locally (but not locally enough to go and try it out on a whim), but can't find any info on them such as pickups, body wood, nut width etc.

Anyone have experience in these?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1345761979' post='1781437']
Have you tried Googling? I've just done it and loads have come up including some that were sold on here!
[/quote]

I've tried googling and I'm not getting any results for the specific one I'm talking about, let alone spec details. I've also searched here and talkbass. I'm just getting info on the 2001 50th anniversary precision or the 1996 USA Fender 50th anniversary....its the mij version I'm looking for.

Edit: Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by pobrien_ie

Am I right in thinking that the actual "50th anniversary edition" came with a flamed top in sunburst and gold hardware? I seem to remember looking it up a few years ago as one came on ebay. Anything else in standard colour with the stamp on the headstock just meant that it was made in the year of Fenders 50th anniversary and wasn't different in anyway. The same happened with the 60th anniversary. Mine is a 60th anniversary in Blizzard Pearl (the only colour they did the mexican anniversary model in) and it has a special neck plate. There were lots of other MIM and MIA Fender basses with a 60th anniversary stamp on the headstock, but these were in fact just standard models made in that year.

http://www.stratcollector.com/images/50thcollection.gif

Edited by OliverBlackman

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1345795481' post='1781551']
Am I right in thinking that the actual "50th anniversary edition" came with a flamed top in sunburst and gold hardware? I seem to remember looking it up a few years ago as one came on ebay. Anything else in standard colour with the stamp on the headstock just meant that it was made in the year of Fenders 50th anniversary and wasn't different in anyway. The same happened with the 60th anniversary. Mine is a 60th anniversary in Blizzard Pearl (the only colour they did the mexican anniversary model in) and it has a special neck plate. There were lots of other MIM and MIA Fender basses with a 60th anniversary stamp on the headstock, but these were in fact just standard models made in that year.

[url="http://www.stratcollector.com/images/50thcollection.gif"]http://www.stratcoll...hcollection.gif[/url]
[/quote]

You're dead right. The bass is advertised as 50th anniversary edition, but apart from that stamp on the back of the headstock it's a stock 1996 MIJ P bass. Thanks for clearing that up, I had just found similar information from a google search :blush:

So back to the bass itself, are they most likely basswood with Japanese pickups and a standard 1.625 nut width?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1345796435' post='1781569']
Yep, I've got a 60th which WAS standard when I got it :lol:
[/quote]

I'd be just buying this for a project really so it wouldn't be standard when I'm finished either ;)

Just had a look on the Fender Japan site - is there such thing as a standard MIJ P Bass currently on sale now, or they all based on either the 57, 62 or 70 P Bass?