Why become a member? ×

sounds like the bass has a cold.

LukeFRC

So back at christmas I got given some money and picked up a set of Bart pickups and a glockenklang preamp off here for my warwick.

Stuck them in... and it was great- the tone I wanted from my bass!.... with the preamp flat or in passive... the Eq points on the Glock were a useless match for the Warwick. (there was also a massive volume drop in the centre blend position - so the preamp got sold, and I started saving up for an expensive one....

so my bass was sat there with no preamp, and no knobs.
Eventually I got fed up and hooked it up, wiring the neck pup up straight to jack. I could open it up and hook the bridge pup on too for both of them if I wanted. And that's how I've been playing my bass since! (it looks a bit silly with no knobs)

So after saving for the new pup a few times and spending the money (I got engaged!) I decided this week enough was enough- and bought a nice bourns 250k Ohm MN blend pot and wired it all up....

and it is great to have a bass with pots! and no volume drop with this pot :)
but

I've got so used to the striaght to jack sound, which I like, that it sounds like my bass has caught a cold!

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1345905128' post='1782978']
For $25,000 you can buy an Anthony Jackson Fodera contrabass. One pickup wired straight to the output jack because it sounds better!
[/quote]

But that takes away the fun of hacking on your bass with 25p worth of parts to get the same result :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1345897539' post='1782858']
So you were running the Barts with no preamp at all?
I've been thinking of trying this with my fretless Zon.
[/quote] yeah, despite everything I read saying they would be too low a signal it sounded great. Is that low z or something to do with loading the pickup vs the resitance of the pots and input value of the MEC pre.