Why become a member? ×

Limit light on Genz Benz shuttle heads

MarkG3

Can someone please explain to me what the limit light is for?

I'm reading contradicting things online with some saying don't worry at all about the light it's just the valve breaking up and others saying oh don't run with the limit light on as the amp will go into protect mode?

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks ;)

Neither!

The clip/limit light comes on 6dB before the amp clips and then squishes another 2dB of output into that last 6dB. It does a pretty good job of emulating the feel of a valve amp at its limit. So with a 900W amp it'll light at a 500W peak. If the light is turning on and off throughout your gig then it means you're using quite a lot of your amp's power but it'll be fine with that, and your cab certainly will! If the light is on absolutely constantly and you're playing a long set in a hot venue (or in the sun outdoors) then it might go into protect mode but if it does then it'll be fine once it cools down again.

It would be a much more useful light if it came on when the amp actually hit the hard limiter (and/or clipped) instead of lighting when the soft limiter starts working.

Excellent thanks Alex! I've obsessed about the light at gigs thinking I'm at max power and thinking eh? Im only at 1 o'clock on the gain,input level and master and thought i was doing some sort of damage as it flashes on and off a fair bit but especially when I really dig in.

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1346166717' post='1785993']
It would be a much more useful light if it came on when the amp actually hit the hard limiter (and/or clipped) instead of lighting when the soft limiter starts working.
[/quote]

I agree, it freaked me out the first time I saw it flickering away. I think amber for soft limiter turning to red for hard limit/clip would be much more helpful. Sometimes when I'm not looking at it I wonder how long the light is staying on for and at what point is it actually starting to hit the hard limiter...

Just ignore it, stick a bit of duct tape over it so you don't see it lighting :D ! You're going to be playing with your backs to the amp anyway! Mine never reached protection and i ran it a bit hot because i only used one 8Ohm cab with it (with a 4 ohm cab i never noticed the LED coming on).

• 11 years later...
On 14/07/2024 at 14:02, Twain1999 said:

My Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 peak light will not go off causing the amp to stop providing sound. Anyone else experienced this?

You have a fault within the amp. This can be repaired under the factory service program. If you message me here or on TalkBass, I will send you the service program information.

• Like 1