Why become a member? ×

Battery powering an amp...

pietruszka

Hi,

My band is wanting to busk on weekends of gigs our material, of course the bass needs to be amplified.

With out spending the £150+ on a battery powered amp, whats the feasibility of modifying an existing practice amp? Even a car battery with a transformer perhaps? It's bound to be cheaper than buying a new busking purpose amp.

Thoughts anyone?

Dan

If you're OK with carting car batteries around, I'd suggest the simplest 'plug-and-play' solution would be a car battery plus an inverter to give you a mains supply. Then simply plug in your practice amp and away you go. Inverters are widely available in caravan/camping and other motor stores such as Halfords.

I've never actually tried it, but I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as your amp is within the rating of the inverter.

I'd look for an inverter with at least double the rating of the amp, e.g. 100W amp, 250W inverter, etc.

I've used inverters in my car for running mains chargers for phones, iPods, camcorders, RC cars etc etc and they've been fine.