Why become a member? ×

Interface advice...

moonbass

Hi all clever recording types,

I'm in the market for a new audio interface. I'm currently using my Zoom H4n for the job (!), which has done admirably well considering, but the time has come to upgrade.

I use a 2009 iMac and I want ideally to get 8 audio ins and MIDI via firewire. Must have phantom power. Recording varied stuff from folksy to electronic. Budget is probably up to £1000 but would consider lower price good value or expandable options. Thoughts so far are:

[b]Motu 8pre:[/b] Has 8 XLR ins and MIDI. Not many routing options, but I don't think that will bother me for home recording myself on a Mac (will it?)

[b]Motu 896mk3: [/b]Has 8 XLRs and more routing options with effects, but doesn't seem to have MIDI (is this right, please correct me as I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have MIDI?!) Also a step up in price and there's mixed views on forums about sound quality.

[b]Focusrite Saffire Pro 40: [/b]8 XLRs and MIDI, lots of routing options, apparently very good pre's.

[b]RME Fireface 800:[/b] Only 4 XLR ins but 10 audio inputs and a line input with valve emulating stuff, MIDI, apparently excellent pre's, expandable by adding further units

I'm sure a lot of it is subjective and you get what you pay for, but it could be a fair whack of money to get something that doesn't do the job. So any thoughts welcomed. Anybody got or used these units? Any disasters? Any praise? Anything else I should be looking at? (Most of these units seem a good few years old, so anything new that I've not looked at?)

Much obliged and all that guv'nors
Andy

RME all the way, just for the quality of the drivers, and the clean pres. Although you will need to spend a wedge to get those 10 line ins to be driven off a set of decent pres, if you need to record more than 4 things at a time.

If I were you, and I could solder (I can, but you might not be bale to), and I needed excellent mic pres I'd go to [url="http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/"]Seventh Circle Audio[/url] - you are talking pretty serious money (a lot less than buying the name kit though ), but their pre's are absolutely top notch.

Edited by 51m0n

Thanks all. I suspect my soldering wouldn't be up to the Seventh Circle route (or budget!) I like the idea of the Mackie Onyx Charic; have you used it yourself? I actually quite like Mackie's price to value ratio, and unlike many have never had a problem with their stuff. I have a ProFx desk and it is a bit noisy for recording, so would be interested to know how the Onyx performs. (Looks like it takes up a big bit of space though.) Anyone used the MOTUs? Are they really to be avoided?