Why become a member? ×

Home recording / basic setup advice pls

sifi2112

Hi all,

Looking to get a little home recording setup but don't have a large budget .. want to be able to really just put bass, (heavy) guitar (maybe 2 -3 tracks) & drums (prob using ez drummer or similar) .. I don't have a 'big' valve amp (do have a 2-15w head & 8" cab & Shure SM57) I was thinking about getting a Wampler or Amptweaker type pedal to get the heavy sound through this small rig but now I'm thinking of recording via the Line6 POD HD (desktop) to get the heavy guitar sound (plus clean & some nice effects) & also using it as an interface for bass as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but using the Line6 means I don't have to get a separate interface ? It does also gives me the option to 'mic' the cab (though if I do get one I wont be able get the pedal as well & without the pedal I can't get the distorted sound out of the cab so no need to 'mic' ..for now ... ) btw can't afford / justify either the Fractal or Kemper as much as I'd like.

Will also need a pc coz mine died on me but do have a monitor etc. Apparently the POD handles some of the processing power but am guessing latency will be addressed by the computer's soundcard ? Will a mini mac suffice (even older model ?) .. I've seen these in home studios on youtube .. I fancy a change from usual pc (sick of them crashing / freezing etc).

Will I need proper (lower end) studio monitors (like KRK's or something) or can I get away with a 'multimedia' set perhaps ? For example is this Samson Studio GT any good ? ... remember I just want to get some basic though reasonable quality recordings done ... I do have a decent if not small (headphone) amp (Temple Audio Bantam XC2) to power 'passive' monitors & would ideally like to use them for music playback/listening .. hence the 'multimedia' question. I realize this might be a compromise ... has anyone done similar ? I also have some sennheiser hd201 headphones ... I know they're not the best but would I be better getting some better ones for the recording/mixing process & not spend as much on the studio/multimedia monitors ?

Before anyone suggests it ... I do have a Korg SOS to get basic recordings but want to upgrade :)

Any advise / opinions are more than welcome ....

thanks

Simon

ps. got a few item for sale or possible trade btw

Edited by sifi2112

For that type of budget, I'd look at a reasonable pre-amp, simple interface (M-Audio type) and a PC (not Mac). Any cash left over could go towards monitors. The front end is the most important, thus a decent mike / pre-amp is a good starting point. Software is easy to obtain and lots of it is 'free'.

If you're going the Mac route, expect to spend more.

Mornats approach is good. I would just add that if you get e newish Mac the latest editions of Garage band comes free and is excellent. It also takes most plug ins like EZ drummer and works with Logic if you want to upgrade.

I took the simple approach and bought a Roland Tri-capture interface unit, that is great as it does what I want simply. You would need a more complex unit it recording a band rather than individual instruments.

I was also on a budget and taking this approach allowed me the financial freedom to buy a decent mike and other equipment. I have a £30 cheap and cheerful Akai midi keybourd from Maplins that is worth a look.

Hope that helps

[quote name='clarket2' timestamp='1346624810' post='1791414']
Reaper is a fantastic and cheap sequencer that will support nearly everythin plug in wise. Might be worth a look as it will only cost you 35 quid ish
[/quote]

Reaper is wonderful, and easily competes with Logic. It works on Mac or PC but was designed with the PC in mind. It's very easy to use too. It is also a very light download, a few meg.

+10 for Reaper. Gotta support a company that doesn't want to put restrictive DRM on their software. Plus every time I want to do something in it I google it to see if Reaper can handle it. 100% hit rate so far, it's immense once you dig deep but you can use it at a "GarageBand level" if you want. That's not knocking GarageBand btw, just a statement about how GB lets you get on with making music.