Why become a member? ×

Fretless Resonator bass

Dave Vader

I have just seen a fretless acoustic/electric resonator bass (like a national, shiny and metal) it is an Ozark that has been converted because of a factory fault with the frets.
I actually have a bit of cash at the moment and could buy it, anyone got any experience with resonator basses? I quite fancy it for acoustic rehearsals with my current gig, and might even use it live if it works well with the band.

Was going to buy an EUB and a resonator guitar, but this should satisfy two cravings in one, ish...
I am too paranoid that someone else will buy it to post the link, does that mean I am definitely going to buy it?
:)

I think the 'resonator' cone isn't efficient at generating the low frequency bass sounds, as most resonator basses will use the guitar cone anyway. Hence a double bass is the size it is. Small body and small cone = low bass volume in my experience.

I have flats on mine, which makes it less loud compared to rounds I was using before. Acoustic output may vary between different makes, but small body equals small bass volume. If you're looking to use it unamplified in an acoustic setting it will struggle based on my experience.