Why become a member? ×

Just wondering ........

thunderbird13

I have an audition in 2 weeks time - nothing special just a pub band who do covers but in a rockabily/ skiffle style. Anyway they have sent me a set list which has 35 songs on it all pretty standard blues material but I 've only played 2 of them before . The question is how many would you learn for an audition ( I dont know if I'm the only bass player their auditioning or not so I dont know how much time I have )?

I had a similar situation, also for a rockabilly band (in Kettering). Bloke said just pick a few to have a go at, so I did chose about 6 and familiarised myself with them.
Turn up at the audition and he insists on going through all of them anyway!! So I ended up playing around 20 tunes I'd never even heard before.
Thankfully I didn't get offered the gig, because by the end of the audition I really didn't want it .

Edited by Count Bassy

Been in that situation myself and it's a tough one. You have to draw the line between was is an audition and what is a rehearsal for them. Asking you do play their entire back catalogue for an audition is out of order. Make sure you can nail at least half a dozen or so. That should be enough to show if you are good enough to get the gig or not.

Also worth asking yourself if their set list includes a lot of genuinely popular songs.

If so, and you only know two of them, could be an opportunity to broaden your repertoire.

You're likely to get more brownie points at an audition if they say: "[i]Which of these can you play?", [/i]and you reply: "[i]All of them[/i]."

Well of the 2 songs I know on their list I'm embarrased to say that one of them is Brown Eyed Girl :blush:

Oh yeah didnt mention that to make it more interesting I'll be using my Stagg EUB for the audtion which I've only been playing for a month :lol: :lol: so I'm struggling to learn the songs AND how to play them

Edited by thunderbird13

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1346931009' post='1794907']
When I've been in your situation, I've asked them what they require/would like.

Best of luck with it.
[/quote]

Agree. Find out which ones they want, then concentrate on those. It won`t hurt to brush up on the others, as it shows willingness, but for an audition, I think 10 songs max is about right.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1346927752' post='1794857']
...covers but in a rockabily/ skiffle style ... pretty standard blues material [/quote]

If it's the usual 1 / 4 / 5 stuff and you want to learn all or most of them [i]and[/i] you're pushed for time:

* Confirm whose version and which key with the band.
* Record the songs off youtube onto audacity or whatever you use
* Listen to each song and make a short note about key, structure, deadstops etc.
* If there's a specific riff somewhere in the song, just get that riff under your fingers and fill the rest of the song with standard root / 5 or walking patterns.
* Dump the mp3's to your player, car, whatever and immerse yourself in them when you can.
* Take your notes to the audition
* Root / 5 or walk where you can and drop the key riffs in when needed.

Good luck, mi amigo.

Edited by skankdelvar

Crikey, 35 new songs sounds a heck of a lot to me. Another illustration of how the world of music (in which I am a complete novice) differs from the world of theatre (in which I am quite experienced).

To me, learning 35 songs for an audition would be like learning a whole play!! You'd never do that for a play audition (although if it's an established work you should have read it before hand). You'd ony usually need to do one or 2 speeches or scenes. The equivalent, in terms of learning, of 1 or 2 songs IMHO.

If I ever had to lean 35 songs in 2 weeks I'd be completely stuffed. Although I would try to follow skank's advice!