Why become a member? ×

Strings!

alex_1_2_3

So recently I've been testing out a lot of different strings but I'm still struggling to find a string that I feel most comfortable with.

I've used evah weich's for a while and I like the sound and feel, however my ideal string would be a little less tense and more flexible for pizzicato playing (which I do 90% of the time).
Most probably a steel string and usable with a bow (though not my main priority). All the nylon core strings that I've tried bug me because they don't stay in tune very well...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Alex

Thanks for all the suggestions!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1346946019' post='1795185']
Innovation Honey would be my suggestion. Not too expensive either. I think they do have a synthetic core but I've had no tuning problems with them.
[/quote]

Innovation honey's might be good, but I have a feeling they might be slightly higher tension than I would like. How would you say they compare in tension to other strings?

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1346946808' post='1795209']
Velvet Garbos are great but a bit pricey. Velvet Blues are a good cheaper option. The tuning stability is a bit iffy while they stretch, but that settles after about a week.
[/quote]

I've tried the velvet blue's, very nice but i didn't get on with how they felt and they sounded a bit metallic for my liking with my bass. Didn't work too well with a bow either :-S.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1346948139' post='1795231']
The nicest low tension steel I have tried are Kolstein Heritage. Not massively pricey (cost just over £100 if you import from Gollihur's in US). Cheapest option will be Innovations
[/quote]

These are on my list to try out at some point!

Also thinking of trying:

Jargar dolce gauge
Corelli 370m
Daddario Helicore lights
Spiro Solo's tuned down.

Anyone got experience with any of those?

[quote name='alex_1_2_3' timestamp='1346951975' post='1795303']Innovation honey's might be good, but I have a feeling they might be slightly higher tension than I would like. How would you say they compare in tension to other strings?[/quote]

They feel pretty light actually. Comparable to spiro weichs in tension and with a similar pizz sound, but they feel a little more flexible. I've had evah weichs on my bass before (and really liked them, but I had them on the wrong bass I think) and the Honeys are a bit easier.

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1347009524' post='1795863']
I'm with Zero9 . Spiro Weichs great for jazz and bow pretty good too. You might want to put a mittle E on the bottom[/quote]

This is what I've got on my main bass - Spiro weichs with a mittel E. I keep meaning to replace the G with an Evah weich though, I think the spiro G sounds a bit thin.

I have been listening to DB sound samples (see my other thread posted this afternoon http://basschat.co.uk/topic/186342-page-with-helpful-sound-samples-of-various-db-strings/page__fromsearch__1) as - although I love the low tension of Silver Slaps on my old flatback - it doesn't have much sustain or growl on the E, just a dull thump. I love the sound of Spirocore Mittels on sound clips (and especially when played by Danny Thompson, although I realise a lot is in the hands of the player in his case) but do the weich's have similar sound characteristics or do the thinner strings give a different character? Also are the weich's similar in tension to Silver Slaps? Thanks!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1347208237' post='1798034']
Silver Slaps are way lower tension than spiro weichs. To be honest though you could get away with a mittel on the E for slapping in terms of tension but it's going to sound very different to your other strings. Maybe try a Super Silver? Higher tension but a similar sound, might work better as an E.
[/quote]
Ok thanks. Shame as a lot of the lines in my band are fast pizzicato lines (eg where we go "all flamenco") and I can't keep those up on higher tension strings. Even my Kolsteins (on my other bass) are at the limit of the tension I would like. Lord alone knows how Danny Thompson plays fast lines with Mittels then, bar having fingers and wrists like Popeye's!