Why become a member? ×

first video of my playing - *gulp*

lowdowner

Ok, inspired by other newbies on here - and the useful feedback they received - here is the first video of me playing my loverly thumb... this is Radiohead 'Iron Lung' (well, a shortened version).

I'm not sure if I'm brave or foolish posting this, but genuine comments welcome: we all have to start somewhere and 8 months in, any constructive advice is welcome.

Please be nice or I will cry! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hmzSEVdv4

Hats off to you i can't work out how to video myself at all :rolleyes: . The bass sounds nice.

I found the balance between the bass and the recorded track was out of kilter. The bass is too loud or the backing is too quiet. Getting the balance in the mix with the other instruments and/or recording will make it much more comfortable for you to play along with (and hide some mistakes if you're lucky).

8 months in you are doing great. One thing i picked up was that it appears that you're right hand appears to be working hard (when doing the octaves) and you could try not to lift your plucking hand so high. If you can do this now it will pay dividends in the long run because you will be more efficient between the strings.

Keep up the good work. Look forward to the next one.

Love the dog.

Hey - thanks for the comments.

My teacher suggested filming my playing and looking at it - there's a lot I don't like here, but some of it is ok. The mix is because if I turn down the bass it seems to (very quickly) be lost to the cheapo microphone.

I'll take a look at that right hand - I come from a classical guitar playing background so I had to 'unlearn' quite a lot (and am still doing that)...

thanks again :)

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1346959441' post='1795427']
love it,great stuff,nice bass tone... :D
[/quote]

hey - that's so cool to hear - thanks :)

long way to go yet, but given that most people who hear me play (like family and most friends) don't really 'get' the bass, hearing that from a bassist is really encouraging! :)