Why become a member? ×

Mesa Walkabout problem - only comes on at max volume? SOLVED, yay!

Clarky

I recently picked up a used Mesa Walkabout from the forum. Very quickly it developed a very annoying fault. That is, when I switch it on there is no volume and even touching the end of the instrument lead with it plugged in makes absolutely no sound. By trial and error I have discovered that if I turn the gain full on and turn up the master volume to max it jumps - LOUDLY - into life. I can then roll off the gain and master and use as normal.

So does anyone have any idea what is happening here? It's very odd and very frustrating and I worry about the damage to my cab that starting on max will do?

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1347105630' post='1796984']
Bizarre!

I'm not sure if it could be relevant, but there's a common-ish problem with Walkabouts which results in the signal dropping out - the FX loop jacks oxidise over. Shoving jacks in and out of the send and return a few times to clear them solves it.

Maybe give it a shot?
[/quote]

Thanks wot, will give it a try later today :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1347105630' post='1796984']
I'm not sure if it could be relevant, but there's a common-ish problem with Walkabouts which results in the signal dropping out - the FX loop jacks oxidise over. Shoving jacks in and out of the send and return a few times to clear them solves it.
[/quote]

+1 - I had this same problem with an Epifani head a few years ago - being that the effects loop with in series, so some sort of problem there caused the preamp signal to stop making a connection to the power amp section. A quick 'how's your father' with a jack lead into the send and return sockets did the trick.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

• 10 months later...

I've had this problem on my MB walkabout this year and tried giving it a "good seeing to " with the jacks in the send and return but the only thing that worked was the permanent short jack lead between the send and return sockets. That worked fine for a while but very recently that is not even working and the level keeps fluctuating as does the hum.

Seems like it needs to go to a repair centre.

Jazzyvee