Why become a member? ×

Stingray pickup in a P Bass

Raggy

I love my P Bass it feels just right for me. I like the look, I like how it sounds.

Just recently I have been using my Ray HH, I bought it in a mad state of GAS and never really got on with it, but, it does sound great in the mix due to it having a few more tonal options.

I was all set to order a Shuker JJ, but am wondering if I went for a HH configuration instead of the split coil, I would have a bass I am comfy with and like the look and feel of, but all the tones my Stingray gets.

Is it really that simple? Anyone tried this?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1347199967' post='1797916']
You could order a P / MM style bass. Sandberg do something similar with the VM, but the MM pup isn't in the correct sweetspot.
[/quote]

'sweet spot'? I'm putting a MM pup in my home-made P bass this week, and from what I've read, the ideal place for the MM is 54mm from the G string saddle. Any advances before I start 'wood-butchering'?

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1347226132' post='1798332']
If it is a Shuker I can get the pups in exactly the right position and the neck profile I like.
[/quote]

If I were you I would talk to Osprey Guitars (AKA Ou7shined) as well as Shuker for what you're after....

To the OP... if you're getting a bass made with two MM pups, and have a HH ray, what don't you like about the ray. The Warwick $$ secondhand may also be a cheaper option.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1347227842' post='1798358']
'sweet spot'? I'm putting a MM pup in my home-made P bass this week, and from what I've read, the ideal place for the MM is 54mm from the G string saddle. Any advances before I start 'wood-butchering'?
[/quote]

search box on basschat.... search "pingray" made by our own resident genius.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347227978' post='1798362']
To the OP... if you're getting a bass made with two MM pups, and have a HH ray, what don't you like about the ray. The Warwick $$ secondhand may also be a cheaper option.
[/quote]

My main bass is a Mex Roger Waters, from the first time I played it, it felt like I had had it years. It was 'just right'.

When I play the Ray it always feels like I am fighting with it.

Good shout on Ou7Shined, cheers, I'll send him a PM.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1347617838' post='1803048']
Scrap that idea.

A/B'd my Precision (fitted with a John East P Retro) against the Ray properly at rehearsal last night.

P Bass won.

Sorry I ever doubted you P Bass :)
[/quote]

yeah, the East Pre's are amazing pieces of kit.