Why become a member? ×

Hofner violin

ash

The tuners are definitely not original.

Apart from that plus what he tells us in the ad (repaired back = refin, replacement pots & scratchplate), it looks credible to me as a 65/66 Hofner.

Better photographs would help, of course.

He doesn't mention a serial number, and there's nothing on the back of the headstock, so this will be a West German / European sold bass, rather than a Selmer import. Makes no difference, it's still the same bass.

The truss rod cover on these is a 3-ply (BWB), the one in the ad is a singly ply black, unless the picture is square on..exactly, although there is a slight bevel, so you should still see it?, I think thats what makes it look odd? Maybe a replacement, everything else looks ok, apart from the aforementioned tuners, although i havent seen a tortoishell neck joint cover shroud before?

Here's a late '64 TRC.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1347310943' post='1799277']
... although i havent seen a tortoishell neck joint cover shroud before?

[/quote]

I've seen several. It seems to have been quite a common side-effect of neck re-sets over the years, and can cover a multitude of sins. :rolleyes:

I've also had a couple of active Hofners where the cover plate for the electronics was in tort.

It always looks horrible, inappropriate, and horribly inappropriate.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1347313724' post='1799327']
I've seen several. It seems to have been quite a common side-effect of neck re-sets over the years, and can cover a multitude of sins. :rolleyes:

I've also had a couple of active Hofners where the cover plate for the electronics was in tort.

It always looks horrible, inappropriate, and horribly inappropriate.
[/quote]

:D Indeed, why wouldn't you just use pearl??, senseless, it's a new one on me, obviously more common than I thought, I love finding out new stuff though, thanks.

I asked him to post pics of the nut and patch which he has done, the nut looks right to me but has obviously been cut left handed at some stage. I asked about the tuners and he said they were on when he got it and he was going to replace but never got round to doing so. Still not 100% on this but he was quick to answer my questions.