Why become a member? ×

Who was the bassist that got up onstage with Larry Graham last night?

Ray

Last night at the Clapham Grand. Larry and the band started inviting random people onstage to jam with them while they were playing If You Want Me To Stay.

First a keys player then a guitarist. Then this guy got up, pointed at Larry, mouthed the word "bass" at him so Larry takes off his bass, gives it to this guy and he starts playing wicked slap bass. I'm not into slap at all but really dug this guys playing. Nothing flashy. Just a great groove.

Who was it? Anyone on here?

He was very good wasn't he, I actually said to my mate he sounded better then the great man himself! I assumed it was a bit pre arranged, all the people who got up including the girl who sang were quite good, what's the chances of that?

Changing the subject a little I was surprised at how much the bass end was held down by the keyboard player, it sounded huge so I'm not complaining :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1347361343' post='1799721']
I actually said to my mate he sounded better then the great man himself!
[/quote]
I thought the same thing.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1347361343' post='1799721']
Changing the subject a little I was surprised at how much the bass end was held down by the keyboard player, it sounded huge so I'm not complaining :)
[/quote]
Yeah, I was quite surprised too. During their soundcheck I heard the keys player using some massive sub-bass sounds.

Hah, I should've known that crowd would have been full of BC-ers. Thought all those who got up on stage did well enough, bassist laid down a lovely solid groove - though to say he was better than the big LG himself is going a bit far! Great night, the big US bands just know how to put a bit of theatrical energy into the performance in a way I've not seen from UK acts, good though many are

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1347371306' post='1799885']
I for one, thought the cocky guitarist made a right prick of himself...
[/quote]

It reminds me of a story I heard after someone had seen Stanley Clark playing in town (and I had missed it, damn). He invited a bassist onto the stage to jam with him, I think the bloke was playing a Warwick Thumb or something. There must have been a workshop on before or something. Anyway, the bloke was just going on and on with Stanley Clark style licks as they jammed over School Days and he was eventually sent off stage because Stan didn't want to jam with someone who was copying his sound.

I don't know how much of that is bullshit though as Stan always comes across as a nice guy.

[quote name='Joe Sam' timestamp='1347575628' post='1802786']
Hi guys, my name is Joe Sam. I was lucky enough to play bass with Larry Graham on Monday night. It really was a dream come true. If you like what I did then check out my bands "Cut the Funk" and "Prison Break".
[/quote]

Nice playing.

How did the opportunity to get up on stage come about?

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1347607696' post='1802915']

Nice playing.

How did the opportunity to get up on stage come about?
[/quote]

It's something Larry does at each gig, I missed out by 1 last time, so I was determined to make it happen this time. Glad you like my playing.

[quote name='Joe Sam' timestamp='1347621861' post='1803110']
It's something Larry does at each gig, I missed out by 1 last time, so I was determined to make it happen this time. Glad you like my playing.
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1347621974' post='1803113']
Larry tends to do it at all his gigs... he breaks into a jam and anybody who "wants some" can queue up in hope that they make it up the stairs to the stage.
[/quote]

Ah I see, it's the first time I've seem him live, twas an excellent gig.