Why become a member? ×

Musical Adventures

xgsjx

Just off for a listen to all those now.

I used to have that Morcheeba album & had some early Sneaker Pimps & Breakbeat Era tracks.

I've been gassing for a fretless for some time now. Even considered taking a chance & getting the Ibby defretted (though I doubt I'd ever get it done).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1361393346' post='1985379']
That's the only BNH song that I have on CD. Worth a shout.
[/quote]

I was thinking along the lines of slowing it down a bit, make it a little more dragging, use the male singer's natural register and allow the electronics guy to come in and do his Kaoss in the higher register. YMMV 'n' all that of course.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1361479494' post='1986482']
I was thinking along the lines of slowing it down a bit, make it a little more dragging, use the male singer's natural register and allow the electronics guy to come in and do his Kaoss in the higher register. YMMV 'n' all that of course.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Ooh. Now that's a good idea! Gonna have to have another listen to that song now. :)

Well tonight was the night & it went....

It did indeed, went. :(

Singer texted me last night to say he can't make it as he's working late, this is the guy who told me that 9:30 on Wednesday would suit him best as he finishes at 8PM!

Guitarist Facebooked me to say that he's cut his thumb on his right hand & can't hold a pic, so will give tonight a miss.

DJ Facebooked me to say that he has his tax return to do as it needs to be in for Friday.

Drummer was fetching his friend along who is a multi instrumentalist & a singer. I texted him at 6:30 PM to ask if they're still good for tonight & got a text back at 8pm to say he's in Dundee (@25 mile away), but good for tonight.
So I thought a 3 piece would still get a good jam. 9:30, I turn up & texted him to say I was setting up. 10pm I get a response to say he's having car issues in Dundee & would arrive asap. Replied saying "no probs" & then sent another at @ 10:40 to ask how things was going. Never heard anything back so ended up leaving the studio & paying for it at @ 10:50.

So a waste of an evening (though I did get a lot done to the kitchen today).

I'll see how things pan out when each of them ask how tonight went & I tell them that no one turned up. But I can see me scrapping the band idea completely if this one doesn't work.

• 4 weeks later...

Good update time!

The guitarist genuinely did cut his thumb pretty badly (he showed me it when I saw him a few days later) & it's fully healed now.

The drummer apologised about not getting to the rooms & is still very keen. He had electrical issues (in an Alfa Romeo? I don't believe it! :P ).
He also had a lot of issues with his phone where it wasn't getting messages or calls. He replaced his phone last week.

The DJ Got back to me to ask how it went & said sorry he couldn't make it. I explained what happened & he offered to pay towards the room.

The singer never got back to me. I texted him & have heard nowt, so I guess he's out. Even if he does get back.

So forward almost a month & we had a meet up for a chat on Wednesday about what we're doing. Discussed what sort of stuff I envision us sounding like & the other guys love the concept & are very excited about it. The DJ is buying some new kit for his part in the band & is also going to take on singing duties.

It's going to be an originals band, but to get our juices flowing we're going to start jamming a few covers (in our own style, whatever that may be).
We're compiling a short list of @ 4-5 tracks & so far have these to try & see what can work for us...

Duke - So In Love With You
Hot Natured - Benediction
Jamiroquai - Planet Home, Where Do We Go From Here or Runaway
Gnarles Barklay - Crazy (probably been done to death by a lot of bands, but it's fun to play differently)
Soul II Soul - Bambelela
Brand New Heavies - Dream On Dreamer or Shelter

I dare say 1/2 of them won't work how we want, but then the ones that I think might work, might not.
Still having a listen to those other suggestions & shall share them with the band to see what can work.

Planning on getting a jam in @ 10 days time, so watch this space!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

It went well (apart from the volume :lol: ). Out of all those songs, the only one that seemed to work out was Crazy. There's a couple of other's that could work, but need worked on (a lot).
Just sorting out our next session with the same guys (& looking for a keys player).

Now a new bass to celebrate would be a good idea, but getting it past my wife could be tricky! :P

One laugh that I got...

We was going over Crazy & dropped it to Gm to suit the singer (AKA hit the high notes) & the guitarist said "I think we're gonna have to try & choose songs that fit his range", to which I replied "Or we could just go straight onto writing songs & then there's no problem". The guitarist then replied with "changing the key of a song is one thing, but writing a new song from scratch? I don't know about that", To which I laughed & said "Well we ARE an Originals band". :lol:

I was talking to the singer today & he said "I'm trying to think of songs", I said "I can write all the songs if needs be" & he replied with "but if we play songs folk know, they'll get up & dance, whereas if we play songs they don't know we might not get any gigs". I said "well I've been playing originals for years & never had any issues with getting gigs or folk not dancing, we usually get invited back".

I think the guitarist has only ever played covers & the singer has always been a DJ (apparently he plays a lot on the snowboarding circuit).

• 3 months later...

Thread revival.

The joys of starting a band. :D :sad: :dash1: :facepalm: :modspank:

Well after much searching & trying things, I think the band is finally together. :D
The singer/keys/DJ left. He can't commit as may be moving away from Perth (lucky sod, it's a nice place to visit).
One of the guitarists has taken on vocal duties & we might have another singer, but the line up now is...

Drums, Bass, Guitar, Guitar/Vocals

So no keys & 2 guitarists. Safe to say I think the idea of starting an Acid Jazz/Funk/Breakbeat band that folk can dance to is clearly out the window.
We're probably a rock band!

At rehearsals last night I said "OK, what sort of music are we going to do"? I explained (again) what my original intentions for the band was & said that I'm happy for it to take on another direction if the rest of the band couldn't play those styles. The guitarist/vocalist said "why don't we take well known songs & do them in a rock style"?
I felt like dropping my bass, hanging him upsidedown by his guitar strings & leaving. But I'll persevere.

The problem with a place like Perth is that there's a severe shortage of actual accomplished musicians that aren't already committed to another band, so I have to take what I get if I'm to start a band of any sort!

We're now doing weekly rehearsals, so hopefully we can eventually get rid of the covers & get on with writing.

Would it be a good idea at the next rehearsal to say "here's the chords" (or key, if it's a riff based groove) & just jam, not play any covers at all?

I only chose to have a couple of covers for the singer to have something to sing until we started writing.

Edited by xgsjx