Why become a member? ×

SS1 £999 Anyone know what kinda year?

Ashwood1985

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347739909' post='1804584']
ring them, though squinting at the serial number suggests '09 ?
[/quote]

I had a look, thought it looked like 03?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347739985' post='1804587']
May of whatever year it is! :) It's reasonably recent based on the way the neck is made up.
[/quote]

When did they stop using the brass nut? Also the headstock is more sculpted than newer ones. I really should know this as I've owned a few SS1's :facepalm:
I'm thinking its a bit older.

Edited by bigthumb

I'd have thought possibly late 90's at the very earliest but a lot more likely 00's. There isn't much to distinguish between years after the late 90's but truss rod covers and nut type is generally a give away... and this has an original JAN, which I'd not have expected at all with that later style truss rod cover. I'd say one or the other has been replaced (possibly both) and I'd put money on the nut being a replacement due to the tendency for the later nuts to snap on the end clips.

I do have to love the lack of detail about the bass in the listing text; one line out of ten says anything about the bass and even then it is just to tell you it is a SSI with one or two little dings... not a hard sell as such! :D

I'm pretty sure that sort of TRC came in in the second half of the 90s before the JAN2; the Fortress I bought in 98 certainly had the JAN1 and I think it had that type of TRC. So I think it could be all original from around then. I'd even dare suggest the serial number ends 96, but can't someone drop it into photoshop, up the contrast and read the number clearly?

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1347826932' post='1805571']
I'm pretty sure that sort of TRC came in in the second half of the 90s before the JAN2; the Fortress I bought in 98 certainly had the JAN1 and I think it had that type of TRC. So I think it could be all original from around then. I'd even dare suggest the serial number ends 96, but can't someone drop it into photoshop, up the contrast and read the number clearly?
[/quote]
or just ring their phone number?

One thing to watch out for, the original JAN (which this has) has a tendancy to develop a rattle (which threadlock won't fix) which in turn produces all sorts of weird harmonics. It is possible to replace the original JAN with a new JAN III but a new brass JAN III will cost you around £100 (although you can buy a synthetic one for quite a bit less) and there are some differences in size which necessitates some modification to the bass itself. It might be worth asking the seller the straight question "does the nut produce a rattle", if they answer "no" then fine (for now) and if it turns out that it does rattle then you would probably have some sort of protection (not as advertised?), and if they answer "yes" then you know that you will probably have to pay out for a new nut and someone to fit it (unless you're feeling brave, like I mentioned earlier - a JAN I to JAN III upgrade is not a straight swap and requires some modification of the bass).

Having said all that, I've got an SS1 and I love it.

Edited by darkandrew

There was some talk on the Warwick forum about rattling JANs, and that this was the reason for developing the JAN2, but most people seemed to agree that you could sort the rattling with a bit of superglue or nail varnish. Certainly a lot of people considered the JAN1 as a worthwhile mod for basses that cam with the later JANs, at least until the brass JAN3 came out.

Rattling Jans would be a great band name, wouldn't it?