Why become a member? ×

Jaco Twins 1 & 2: Live in Japan 1982

Bilbo

I just came across this on Spotify (I have it on a cassette somewhere) and I had forgotten how good it is. It is great bass playing but it is also great Jazz, great compositions, great arranging, great band. Liberty City is a nassive highlight for me (the swingingest electric bass ever), as is JP's duet with Toots Thielman on Sophisticated Lady. The greatest at the height of his powers with a decent band. It's as good as it gets. What is perfect for me is the way Jaco's bass is integrated into the band as opposed to being overbearing in the mix.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSOitft6fc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSOitft6fc[/url]

The youtube clip is not as good as the album version so I recommend you go to Spotify to hear it.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1347745846' post='1804656']
He says Toots Thielman told him "you guys finished him off , nobody wanted his thing after slap".
[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe no-one wanted to duet with Toots anymore because the harmonica is a bit played out, maybe! But yes, the 'bass hero' thing did take a bit of a diversion from Jaco's jazz stylings, at least in the 80's (though there were plenty of awesome jazz/fusion players around then). I don't think Mark King's awesome bass playing or the fact that Level 42 were really good 'finished' Jaco off though. That downward spiral started years ago.

Agree about the video though. Not my favourite Jaco stuff, but I have always thought he was a better 'in' and band than he was at 'being the band'. Especially when he wasn't bandleader. Weather Report, or Joni Mitchell's band, for instance.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347785760' post='1804823']
The Invitation compilation is fine but it is missing some real highlights.
[/quote]If your on spotify check out the petrucciani and NHOP duet album it is awesome.

http://open.spotify.com/track/6XKMtMkIu5FJaMKWPqzA1x

Edited by blamelouis

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1347804926' post='1805185']
After my recent Jaco post, I bought the book and can't put it down.....getting into the latter third now...what a terrible, sad story....such a waste. How anyone can live like he did with the drink, drugs....compared to how he started out avoiding all the rubbish.
[/quote]
Jaco's life was an example of extremes .