Why become a member? ×

New Donald Fagen Song

Pete Academy

Here's a song from the forthcoming Donald Fagen solo album, Sunken Condos, released next month. Nice groove and tasty playing by Freddie Washington, I presume.

[url="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-premiere-donald-fagen-im-not-the-same-without-you-20120917"]http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-premiere-donald-fagen-im-not-the-same-without-you-20120917[/url]

Not so inspiring sounding anymore. One of the reasons I like Steely Dan's older stuff like Aja or The Royal Scam was because whilst it was modern sounding at the time, there were limitations to the amount that they could take things in the studio and I like the sounds of those limitations. Nowadays it's just way too clinical. The song itself is nothing not heard before, the lyrics don't seem up to Fagan's witty usual standards.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1347994573' post='1807893']
Not so inspiring sounding anymore. One of the reasons I like Steely Dan's older stuff like Aja or The Royal Scam was because whilst it was modern sounding at the time, there were limitations to the amount that they could take things in the studio and I like the sounds of those limitations. Nowadays it's just way too clinical. The song itself is nothing not heard before, the lyrics don't seem up to Fagan's witty usual standards.
[/quote]
You put that very well, exactly what I thought too. Very clinical.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1347998481' post='1807993']
It's ok. The verse kind of reminds me of 'Deacon Blues',but I think that the chorus is a bit weak. I don't think
it stacks up against anything on 'The Nightfly',but then again I don't think he's done much recently that does.
[/quote]

I would agree with that, Paul. I think every artist peaks and then can't live up to that album.