Why become a member? ×

effects ordering

steve-bbb

not being much of an effects user was just wondering is there any unwritten rules about what orders to put stuff in the effects chain

ie distortion before chorus/flange or compressors before everything or distortion always at end of chain etceteraa etceteraaa

or is it all a matter of personal preference? :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347977254' post='1807513']
Like simwells says, there's no rules. However, Shep's blog might be of interest to you...

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/category/signal-chain-bassics"]http://www.sheponbas...l-chain-bassics[/url]
[/quote]

ta

never mind the effects im distracted by the music page now :D

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347977254' post='1807513']
Like simwells says, there's no rules. However, Shep's blog might be of interest to you...

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/category/signal-chain-bassics"]http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/category/signal-chain-bassics[/url]
[/quote]

No rules - chuck them all out. What works for you might not work for others. Effects respond so different in different orders so you need to move them around to find the sounds you love.

There are practical restrictions, like old analogue octavers will basically track sod all after modulation or heavy dirt, so you're limited as to where they 'will work'. Failing that go mad!

Thanks for sharing the link dude!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1347993953' post='1807878']
ta

never mind the effects im distracted by the music page now :D
[/quote]

Glad you like it!! ;)

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1347996352' post='1807931']

No rules - chuck them all out. What works for you might not work for others. Effects respond so different in different orders so you need to move them around to find the sounds you love.

There are practical restrictions, like old analogue octavers will basically track sod all after modulation or heavy dirt, so you're limited as to where they 'will work'. Failing that go mad!

Thanks for sharing the link dude!

Glad you like it!! ;)

Shep
[/quote]

It's a brilliant site you've got there & I'm happy to point anyone to it..

On a side note, I've noticed that some effects can respond to what's after them as well as what's before them (Moogers being prime examples).
I've noticed that depending what pedals I have turned on, the chorus that's after the LPF can affect the envelope amount. Weird!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347997074' post='1807956']

It's a brilliant site you've got there & I'm happy to point anyone to it..

On a side note, I've noticed that some effects can respond to what's after them as well as what's before them (Moogers being prime examples).
I've noticed that depending what pedals I have turned on, the chorus that's after the LPF can affect the envelope amount. Weird!
[/quote]

I would of thought that what you are hearing is the envelope being exploited more as the chorus sweeps a higher frequency range. If you have dirt on you'll have more top end harmonics, which will be amplified in the higher frequencies by the chorus. The envelope in the LPF will be heard in those high peaks as the modulation sweeps up. The envelope amount won't be moving, but th sweep of the chorus is making more of that envelope audible.

I may be wrong... But that'd be my explanation :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1347999873' post='1808019']

I would of thought that what you are hearing is the envelope being exploited more as the chorus sweeps a higher frequency range. If you have dirt on you'll have more top end harmonics, which will be amplified in the higher frequencies by the chorus. The envelope in the LPF will be heard in those high peaks as the modulation sweeps up. The envelope amount won't be moving, but th sweep of the chorus is making more of that envelope audible.

I may be wrong... But that'd be my explanation :)
[/quote]

You might be right, but it's when I open the envelope follower. If the chorus is on quite strong, it affects the Wah effect.
I'll record it sometime & you can see what you think. I've also had the Murf do unusual stuff with the envelope on it when I had things routed differently.