Why become a member? ×

2x12 cabs all seem to be 4ohm

far0n

[quote name='far0n' timestamp='1348091394' post='1809320']
Why is that?
[/quote]Because the notion of 'getting all the watts out of my amp', as wrong as it is, pervasively dominates the marketplace. In those cases where a manufacturer offers both options 4 ohm outsell 8 ohm about 3 to 1. So if a manufacturer decides to offer only one or the other in most cases it's 4 ohm.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1348106612' post='1809462']
Because the notion of 'getting all the watts out of my amp', as wrong as it is, pervasively dominates the marketplace. In those cases where a manufacturer offers both options 4 ohm outsell 8 ohm about 3 to 1. So if a manufacturer decides to offer only one or the other in most cases it's 4 ohm.
[/quote]

Yep, I`ve just got an 8ohm cab with a new 4ohm amp so "only" getting 300 watts instead of the full 500. I say "only" as I still have way more power than I need.

Only thing I`d say here is, if you suffer a bit from wanting lots of gear, buying a 4ohm cab (assuming your amp is at full on 4ohms) prevents you from getting another to add in, whereas with an 8ohm cab, it may be possible to talk yourself into "needing" another 8ohm cab. It`s certainly been my problem before, though am hoping I`ve gotten away from it :)

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1348130587' post='1809600']
With any good quality 2x12 cab you shouldn't really need anything else - so 4 ohms seems a reasonable enough choice to me.
[/quote]

This... so makers don't see the need to offer 8ohms..which is what BFM said

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1348129180' post='1809579']
True dat Lozz but if you get a Barefaced Super12 you won't need another cab ;)
[/quote]

Well I think I`ve finally come to my senses with my current MarkBass 104HR. Volume on 4 out of 12 for gigs, why would I need another cab? And this is with those meagre 300 watts as well!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1348142823' post='1809895']
At the risk of opening a can of worms, why is that wrong? Cheers,
[/quote]

Doubling the power increases perceived loudness by 3dB, noticeable only in an AB test.

Add to that the fact that most amps that deliver (for example) 100W into 8 ohms will only deliver about 160-180 into 4, so it's even less than 3dB.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1348143350' post='1809907']
Doubling the power increases perceived loudness by 3dB, noticeable only in an AB test.

Add to that the fact that most amps that deliver (for example) 100W into 8 ohms will only deliver about 160-180 into 4, so it's even less than 3dB.
[/quote]+1. Most players assume that power is linear with respect to perceived loudness. It isn't. To double perceived loudness requires ten times the power. What you'll hear going from an 8 ohm to 4 ohm cab, assuming the cab can make use of the increased power output from the amp, is barely perceptable. And then there's the matter of driver excursion. The average bass cab can only make use of 1/2 its thermal power rating before reaching its mechanical limit, so putting more than, say, 250w into a 500w rated cab won't get you any more output at all. In the vast majority of cases insufficient volume isn't caused by insufficient power, it's caused by insufficient speakers to handle the power available.