Why become a member? ×

Extra Extra long Half/Pressure/Ground wound 5 string set

apa

Hows that for a niche market!!

Im desperate to find a set of Half or Ground or Pressure (What ever you want to call them) wound 5 string set but in extra long scale. When I say extra long I mean a voice length of 38 1/2" or 980mm (Ball to Silk) I did buy a set of Status half wounds but they are too short by about 30mm. These are for a fretless. Or if anyone knows who can make a set. Status will but theres a minimum order of 10 packs!! Newton only do round wounds (Although they are planning on custom flats in the new year :D ) There is the option of extra long Chromes but they are about £50.

I do know that GHS (My prefered brand) do the ML720-5 Pressure wound but not sure they will fit. I have seen thier ML3075 Brite Flats mentioned as extra long sets and in 5 string packs but cant find them anywere for sale.

Help please!!!

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1348222357' post='1810994']
Hows that for a niche market!!

Im desperate to find a set of Half or Ground or Pressure (What ever you want to call them) wound 5 string set but in extra long scale. When I say extra long I mean a voice length of 38 1/2" or 980mm (Ball to Silk) I did buy a set of Status half wounds but they are too short by about 30mm. These are for a fretless. Or if anyone knows who can make a set. Status will but theres a minimum order of 10 packs!! Newton only do round wounds (Although they are planning on custom flats in the new year :D ) There is the option of extra long Chromes but they are about £50.

I do know that GHS (My prefered brand) do the ML720-5 Pressure wound but not sure they will fit. I have seen thier ML3075 Brite Flats mentioned as extra long sets and in 5 string packs but cant find them anywere for sale.

Help please!!!

A
[/quote]
I don't suppose it's any help but - GHS Precision flats - say on the packet 38" :( same with the Black Nylons so I suspect the Groundwounds will be the same.

Edited by KiOgon

Now thats an option thanks kiOgon (Fellow GHS Fanboy ;) ). I was hoping to avoid flats as such. Question is - WTF is a 'winding length'!! I wish they would standardise the terms. Ill see how far out my other GHS 34" scale strings are and extrapolate from there.

A

This shows the 'spare' length above the nut on my AV '57 P - the A measures 70mm of usable before the purple silk :)
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fender%2057%20Precision%20Bass%20American%20Vintage/22082011836.jpg[/IMG]

My long scale "Brite Flats" - straight out of the packet, so unstretched, have a measurement 37.75" (95.8cm) from the underside of the ball to the start of the ribbon. However, the ribbon over the thick part of the string extends to just over 38.75" (98.6cm). After that there's a step down to narrower section of silk covered string that's about 11mm long.

I got mine from "stringbusters". Although not shown on the web-site, they were able to get the Brite Flats to me in 5 days. Make an e-mail enquiry to [email protected]

Balcro.

Right..............

Just put an old GHS Brite Flat E Long Scale (M3075) on it, tuned it up to stretch it and the silk is over (On the fboard side) the nut by approx 10mm and the taper 'shoulder' is just resting on the nut so if I cut the silks back it may just work. Theres one subtle flaw in all this................ I dont think GHS make 5 string Brite Flats :angry:

KiOgon My P strung with Brite flats looks just like yours so your probably right :(

A

Hello apa,

Just had a look on the ghsstrings web-site. They do a five string version of the Pressurewound strings - ref: M7200-5, and a a 5 string set of "Precision Flats" - ref: M3050-5. They claim that these are "long scale plus" and will fit up to a 36" scale bass.
That looks to be the answer, Unfortunately not available in Brite Flat.

Oddly, no five string sets for the Brite Flats. My set is coded ML3075 and is for a 4-string and is described as standard long scale for 34" basses.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1348261359' post='1811697']
Hello apa,

Just had a look on the ghsstrings web-site. They do a five string version of the Pressurewound strings - ref: M7200-5, and a a 5 string set of "Precision Flats" - ref: M3050-5. They claim that these are "long scale plus" and will fit up to a 36" scale bass.
That looks to be the answer, Unfortunately not available in Brite Flat.

Oddly, no five string sets for the Brite Flats. My set is coded ML3075 and is for a 4-string and is described as standard long scale for 34" basses.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Yep thats the set I use but Mine are the M3075 set. The 'ML' is for 'Medium Lite' gauge.

All of these GHS strings are going to be a bit close to the bone I think :(

I cant for the life of me find any stock 5 strings or 4 strings for that matter of any manufacturer with a usable length of greater than 38" Grrrrrrr

A

• 3 weeks later...

Huzzar success (Sort of) :D

OK so thier flats but at least they fit...............

Rotosound 77 Monel Flats Extra long 4 string set (RS77EL) + .130 Extra Long single B (JEL130)

And heres the proof.............

[IMG]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q491/apasher/DSCN0048.jpg[/IMG]

A